W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > July to September 2017

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2017-08-24

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 12:09:19 +0100
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
Message-ID: <91685003-dff2-cc9e-df08-7be2c0ab7d9e@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2017/08/24-i18n-minutes.html





text extract follows:


- DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

24 Aug 2017

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017Aug/0017.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2017/08/24-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           JcK, Bert, r12a, David, Addison, (IRC, only), Steven

    Regrets
    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           addison

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]agenda
          2. [6]action items
          3. [7]info share
          4. [8]radar and active work review
          5. [9]https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/2945
          6. [10]string-meta
          7. [11]strings and bidi article
          8. [12]AOB?
      * [13]Summary of Action Items
      * [14]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <scribe> ScribeNick: addison

agenda

action items

    [15]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    close action-614

    <trackbot> Closed action-614.

    action-643?

    <trackbot> action-643 -- Richard Ishida to Close ttml issues --
    due 2017-08-24 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [16]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/643

      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/643

    richard: a couple where there need to make notes, so haven't
    closed those

    close action-643

    <trackbot> Closed action-643.

    action-644?

    <trackbot> action-644 -- Richard Ishida to Add the language use
    case to string meta article -- due 2017-08-24 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [17]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/644

      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/644

    close action-644

    <trackbot> Closed action-644.

info share

    [18]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017A
    ug/0018.html

      [18] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017Aug/0018.html

    richard: advanced publishing lab set up
    ... links have info
    ... using jlreq as a source for some of the work they do
    ... hopefully doing gap analysis and looking at things that
    need to be priortized and worked on

    addison: possiblity of contributing upates to jlreq?

    richard: hoping that might happen, floated idea
    ... want to form a task force at w3c at some point
    ... to make gap analysis happen, probably not until next year

    <r12a>
    [19]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-discuss/notes/language-matrix.htm
    l

      [19] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-discuss/notes/language-matrix.html

    richard: been thinking about things related to how we handle
    requirements side of stuff
    ... motivated by discussions about improving funding, etc. for
    i18n
    ... one of the question is: can we not say the top 100
    languages in the world
    ... these are supported at level x or y
    ... these not supported, etc.
    ... playing with ideas
    ... not straightforward
    ... sometimes there's only one feature broken
    ... sometimes the language but not the dialects
    ... language in 2 scripts, etc.
    ... which tech css, html, etc.
    ... all those problems, but seems like interesting exercise
    ... above link is early mock up of what it could look like
    ... colors indicate ability to use language on the web
    ... throw that out in case anyone has ideas
    ... if you scroll down to Javanese
    ... link there is to a mockup of gap analysis
    ... type in description of issues if any
    ... could get input that way
    ... also occured as a better way to do TF work
    ... better than trying to document how script works
    ... maybe start with gap analysis, quicker
    ... and then doc requirements to fill gaps
    ... any thoughts?

    jck: one comment, need to handle carefully the choice of
    languages

    bert: is this for working groups or for content authors?

    richard: this is from jeff jaffe's idea to some degree
    ... original impetus, but from me, I would hope this would
    provoke people to work on gaps
    ... come to grips with gaps
    ... probably need to be tech specific
    ... page on javanese for example is on html/css
    ... for people who want to use on the web
    ... could be ordinary users
    ... but also define advanced users, as defined by speakers
    ... like dealing with paged media, such as ebooks
    ... covers a range of people

radar and active work review

    [20]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

      [20] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

    [21]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

      [21] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

[22]https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/2945

      [22] https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/2945

    issue title: Hinting at a translation language for outgoing
    links

    the issue title: Hinting at a translation language for outgoing
    links

    richard: links from an Indian page to an English article,
    browser may not be set to request their language
    ... wouldn't it be good if content-author could put in a tag
    that says "translate this content to language xxx"

    addison: that would result in an Accept-Language header?

    richard: they haven't talked about that bit
    ... plenty of cases where it's not a good idea
    ... how could you know what language I prefer to read the page
    in?

    addison: probably want options for "in the language of this
    page" and "in the language my browser it set to"

    richard: a lot of browsers are set wrong
    ... make it easier to use language settings in browsers

    addison: opposite of what browser vendors have been doing

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: remind working group to read whatwg
    html issue 2945 for discussion next telecon [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2017/08/24-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

      [23] http://www.w3.org/2017/08/24-i18n-minutes.html#action01

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-645 - Remind working group to read
    whatwg html issue 2945 for discussion next telecon [on Addison
    Phillips - due 2017-08-31].

string-meta

    [24]https://w3c.github.io/string-meta/

      [24] https://w3c.github.io/string-meta/

    richard: some descriptions of things that don't work. do we
    need to add?

    addison: yes

    richard: sent a bunch of comments in a pull request

    addison: will review

    <r12a>
    [25]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/articles/strings-and-bidi
    /index.en

      [25] 
https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/articles/strings-and-bidi/index.en

    richard: strings and bidi article
    ... can take an action
    ... been out for wide review, should we publish

strings and bidi article

    addison: any objections to publishing"

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: publish strings-and-bidi article
    [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2017/08/24-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

      [26] http://www.w3.org/2017/08/24-i18n-minutes.html#action02

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-646 - Publish strings-and-bidi
    article [on Richard Ishida - due 2017-08-31].

    richard: will publish panels/cards as images (alas!)

    addison: have the html source somewhere?

    richard: try to figure it out, "see how it works in your
    browser"
    ... wanted to do this for months, perhaps years
    ... gather all the issues in one place
    ... if you think of other issues, please let me know!!

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: remind working group to read whatwg html
    issue 2945 for discussion next telecon [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2017/08/24-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: publish strings-and-bidi article
    [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2017/08/24-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

      [27] http://www.w3.org/2017/08/24-i18n-minutes.html#action01
      [28] http://www.w3.org/2017/08/24-i18n-minutes.html#action02

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 31 August 2017 11:09:27 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 31 August 2017 11:09:28 UTC