HTML proposal for hinting at a translation language for outgoing links

From: Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 19:24:25 +0000
To: "www-international@w3.org" <www-international@w3.org>
Hi all,

On behalf of the Chrome team, I've opened an issue on the HTML Standard for a proposal for hinting at a translation language for outgoing links: https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/2945.

More details on motivations and use cases are available there, but to summarize, the idea would be something like <a href="..." hreftranslatehint="hi">content</a> for links where the author of the linking page believes the user will be best served by their browser or other client software translating the linked-to page into Hindi. Chrome is interested in using this to trigger our browser's translation feature, but you can also imagine it being used by other browsers, browser addons, or non-browser clients.

We'd welcome any feedback on the proposal, preferably on the Github issue, but replies are also welcome.

Thanks!
-Domenic Denicola