W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > January to March 2017

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2017-03-30

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 17:30:06 +0100
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
Message-ID: <042ed187-0481-342b-9049-14f1abea72a6@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html






text version follows:




  - DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

30 Mar 2017

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017Mar/0035.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           r12a, addison, fantasai, Najib

    Regrets
           Felix, Steven

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           addison

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Radar
          5. [9]HTML WG wants to close issue 470
          6. [10]String in WHATWG
          7. [11]Content Model for Ruby Markup?
          8. [12]Can we publish Approaches to full justification
          9. [13]Support for bidi in strings
         10. [14]AOB?
      * [15]Summary of Action Items
      * [16]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <scribe> ScribeNick: addison

Agenda

Action Items

    [17]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-596?

    <trackbot> action-596 -- Addison Phillips to Adjust the agenda
    to reflect use of uk time for meeting and update links to
    dateandtime -- due 2017-03-16 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [18]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/596

      [18] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/596

    close action-596

    <trackbot> Closed action-596.

    action-600?

    <trackbot> action-600 -- Addison Phillips to Prepare and submit
    encoding refresh -- due 2017-03-16 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [19]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/600

      [19] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/600

    action-604?

    <trackbot> action-604 -- Richard Ishida to Move the encoding
    tracking table to github so addison can update it -- due
    2017-03-30 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [20]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/604

      [20] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/604

    close action-604

    <trackbot> Closed action-604.

    action-605?

    <trackbot> action-605 -- Richard Ishida to Checks status of
    svg2 comments -- due 2017-03-30 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [21]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/605

      [21] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/605

    richard: all still open
    ... svg work seems on hiatus

    close action-605

    <trackbot> Closed action-605.

    action-606?

    <trackbot> action-606 -- Richard Ishida to Tell travis to go
    ahead removing bidi controls text from html5 and whatwg -- due
    2017-03-30 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [22]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/606

      [22] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/606

    close action-606

    <trackbot> Closed action-606.

Info Share

    <r12a>
    [23]https://www.w3.org/International/tests/#css3-text-decor

      [23] https://www.w3.org/International/tests/#css3-text-decor

    richard: now have two sets of tests for test decoration
    ... a couple need some word tweaking
    ... line below "a bit lower" hard to test
    ... tests now there focused on i18n stuff
    ... a few exploratory tests
    ... note in spec says JP different from ZH
    ... put some exploratory for what I think should happen to
    mongolian
    ... writing tests takes time
    ... figure out how to write more efficiently
    ... took time to create a system to generate tests
    ... first fruit of that effort
    ... assertions still use same text as tests, etc.

    fantasai: just switched to using WPT repo

    richard: contribute our tests to platform
    ... this is a mechanism for how I create the files

    fantasai: as far as assertion and instructions
    ... usually quite different
    ... text decoration sometimes have identical text for both
    ... pass condition can be more abstract, not useful assertion

    richard stuck in properties and values automatically

    scribe: instructions are "test passes if"
    ... and then may add something like "this is what happense for
    e.g. Japanese chars"
    ... not perfect but okay maybe?

    <fantasai> CSSWG is meeting in Tokyo mid-April :)

Radar

    [24]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

      [24] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

HTML WG wants to close issue 470

    [25]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017M
    ar/0039.html

      [25] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017Mar/0039.html

    [26]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/164

      [26] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/164

    okay by me

String in WHATWG

    [27]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2017J
    anMar/0059.html

      [27] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2017JanMar/0059.html

    [28]https://infra.spec.whatwg.org/#primitive-data-types

      [28] https://infra.spec.whatwg.org/#primitive-data-types

Content Model for Ruby Markup?

    richard: make a work item?
    ... ttml is defining how ruby should work in their spec
    ... only slightly differently than others
    ... not the syntax, but the objects and how they relate
    ... we have a content model in ruby annotation spec
    ... have one in html
    ... and css ruby spec, which expects some stuff like tabular
    layout
    ... same ?? with ITS and webvtt
    ... would be nice to produce a document that says what elements
    you need and relationship?

    addison: new version of ruby annotation spec??

    richard: not sure

    fantasai: happy to review

Can we publish Approaches to full justification

    <najib> Yes

    <r12a>
    [29]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/articles/typography/justi
    fication.en

      [29] 
https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/articles/typography/justification.en

    richard: publish as an article
    ... no objections?

    najib: put a comment about tatweel
    ... it gives a better result
    ... gave some explanation
    ... tatweel is only possible for simple fonts
    ... not really an implementation of kashida

    addison: changes required?

    najib: no, just confirming what richard wrote
    ... mentioned this in ALReq

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: publish Approaches to Full
    Justification as an article [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

      [30] http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html#action01

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-607 - Publish approaches to full
    justification as an article [on Richard Ishida - due
    2017-04-06].

Support for bidi in strings

    <najib> [31]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-discuss/notes/json-bidi

      [31] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-discuss/notes/json-bidi

    <r12a>
    [32]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-discuss/notes/string-base-directi
    on.html

      [32] 
http://w3c.github.io/i18n-discuss/notes/string-base-direction.html

    <r12a> add "we're seeing problems with this in more and more
    specs"

    <r12a> add point that you should not have to use metadata
    always, only if first strong doesn't work

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: send richard comments on
    string-base-direction document [recorded in
    [33]http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

      [33] http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html#action02

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-608 - Send richard comments on
    string-base-direction document [on Addison Phillips - due
    2017-04-06].

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: send richard comments on
    string-base-direction document [recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: publish Approaches to Full Justification
    as an article [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

      [34] http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html#action02
      [35] http://www.w3.org/2017/03/30-i18n-minutes.html#action01

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 30 March 2017 16:30:12 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 30 March 2017 16:30:14 UTC