Re: Request for review of Shapes Constraint Language (SHACL) before CR

On 03/02/2017 12:56 AM, Holger Knublauch wrote:
> Hi Addison,
>
> my sincere apologies for the late notice. Since the beginning of the
> year we had W3C staff changes and operated without a formal WG chair.
> We have failed to check our obligations in the process properly. The
> need for the i18n review was only brought to our attention by Sandro
> when he joined the WG last week.

Indeed, it's an unfortunately state of affairs, about which we are
currently doing all we can, IMHO.   I'm talking to r12a about more
general fixes, and would be happy to work with you on that, unrelated to
this group.

Meanwhile, on the matter at hand, in case you are able to find a little
time:

As Holger noted, SHACL specifies an RDF-triples-in, RDF-triples-out
system, so in general all the natural language handling is dictated by
RDF's natural language handling.     A few details that occur to me (and
I'm cc'ing the group so they can correct me if I got anything wrong --
I'm very new to SHACL) :

1. As in RDF, any text string can easily be given a language tag. So
this part's good.

2. However, in RDF, as far as I know, there's no standardized way to add
indications of text direction in the metadata around text. rdf:HTML and
rdf:XMLLiteral values have their normal ways of doing dir inside the
data, and of course text strings have their normal (but imperfect) ways
to do it (eg using the first strong directional character).  I expect if
a way were standardized for doing this in RDF, it would simply work in
SHACL.   If you know of a design for doing this, we could confirm this
expectation.

3.  My understanding is RDF's language tagging conflicts with its
handling of meaningful multiple values.   For example, in { :myCat
:label "Cat"@en, "Chat"@fr, "Kitten"@en } it's at best hard to
disentangle the multiple values in software, figuring out that the first
two values relate as translations, while the third is a different kind
of alternative value.   SHACL continues best practice around this design
challenge by advising people to avoid it, saying "Both |sh:name| and
|sh:description| may have multiple values
<https://www.w3.org/TR/shacl/#dfn-value>, but should only have one value
<https://www.w3.org/TR/shacl/#dfn-value> per language tag." and "A shape
should not have more than one value for |sh:message| with the same
language tag."    Beyond this, SHACL provides a mechanism, sh:uniqueLang
(section 4.4.5), for allowing this best practice to be enforced in
validated data.

4.  In general, SHACL allows one to validate values for certain
properties as being text tagged with certain language tags, using
sh:languageIn (section 4.4.4).    The actual matching algorithm is
specified to be the same as in SPARQL, which is important, since SHACL
implementations are often implemented using SPARQL engines. (IE, we're
not really at liberty to change the algorithm, if it turned out there
were a reason for doing so.)  This seems like a useful feature in
support of practical i18n.

That's all I've come up with.   I hope that helps a bit.

      -- Sandro