Re: Wiki summary of q element default styling issues

I think John sums it up nicely.

You have a feature that

a) provides content, but (by default) not style
b) can't be controlled with CSS
c) doesn't (can't) do what people expect

The existing default "works" to some degree in monolingual environments,
where there's limited nesting, but it is not robust.

In multilingual environments, or with deep nesting, it's difficult to
impossible to specify with CSS what should happen, because the most
common scenarios is to base the choice of quotation marks on the
surrounding language, not the language of the mark itself. And, more
precisely, on the outermost language (that of whatever unquoted text
surrounds the outermost quote).

The use of quotation marks is not only language dependent, but some
languages allow alternate styles of quotation mark usage (or alternate
styles are used in common practice). Some material uses alternate styles
of quoting for effect, including some use of "foreign" marks to make a
quote look foreign.

Some quotations are indicated with leading marks (dash) only. For
example in rendering dialog.

Some users may have the expectation that the <q> element handles not
just quotation marks but somehow handles all aspects of the insertion
(embedding) of the quoted element. While it might be possible to use it
to isolate quoted material from surrounding bidirectional text, the <q>
element cannot handle automatic suppression of redundant punctuation. (I
think rather than removing the period from the examples, they deserve
their own discussion).

The <q> element cannot reliably function as a container.

As a result, I wonder if it wouldn't be best to
a) suggest that the default behavior of the <q> element be limited to
monolingual use, and limited nesting (most implementations seem to do that)
b) suggest that that limitation be explicitly documented
c) suggest that any robust multilingual or deeply nested use would use a
setting of "none" for the automatic content, and
d) suggest that users (authors) supply their own marks

A./