Re: Wiki summary of q element default styling issues

Den 2016-04-21 21:01, skrev "John Cowan" <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>:

> Kent Karlsson scripsit:
>
>> Really? What says that one of the full stops should not be displayed?
>> (Goes for all of your examples.)
>
> That's normal, at least in Western-style typography.  If a sentence ends
> with a quoted sentence, one of the two periods is dropped (which one it
> is depends on language-specific conventions).

Let me try again.

Really? What, in the HTML5 specification or the comments on quoting style in
the recent discussion on the matter, says that one of the full stops in the
source should not be displayed by a browser? If there is anything, that
needs to be rectified. (I actually think it was a typo in a boilerplate that
got copied to several examples...)

That (human) authors may behave badly in these situations in another matter.
I count that in the misspelling category. (I.e., stay with the logical
quote, no matter what (bad) style guides say.)

/Kent Karlsson