Re: Wiki summary of q element default styling issues

On 4/21/2016 4:32 AM, ishida@w3.org wrote:

> https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Quotes
> summarises the discussion so far about what the default styling should
> be for the q element in HTML5.
>
> Now we need to decide what to do next.
>
> ri

You write:

    Opinions from <a
    href="https://www.w3.org/Mail/flatten/index?subject=Expected+behaviour+of+quotation+marks&list=public-digipub-ig">people
    on the public-digipub and www-international mailing lists</a> point
    to a desire for quotation marks to remain in the format appropriate
    to the language*of the reader*, rather than to change according to
    the language of the quotation.

I think it is misleading to refer to the "reader" here. If I read (with
locale settings set to English) a document that is all in German, I do
not expect English quotation marks. However, I do expect that English
text quoted in the document follow the document's convention and use
German quotation marks.

For web pages that contain multiple independent content blocks (such as
a facebook page) I would expect the choice to depend on the language of
the content block (that is, individual posts should not be treated as if
they were nested quotes, but as if they were individual documents).

A./

PS: there seems to have been some issue with the <a/> element in the
wiki's source.