Re: Is <q> useful? [was Expected behaviour of quotation marks]

On 08/04/2016 16:59, John Cowan wrote:
> Phillips, Addison scripsit:
>
>>> Except that that appears not to be the case.
>>
>> Isn't that what we're discussing fixing?
>
> Are we?  I thought we were talking about how to make use of the
> q element given existing browser behavior, to which my answer is
> "Don't."

well, it's not what i was discussing ;-)  I was (a) trying to establish
what the requirements are, so that (b) i can have another bash at
getting things sorted out in HTML5, and probably CSS too.

however, i was also going to say that you can always add
quotes: none;
styling to prevent q producing quote marks, or style it so that it does
what you prefer.  What i'm looking at is how in future to improve the
default result in the absence of fine tuning.

ri