Re: Encoding

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I'm still struggling with the goals of the encoding work.
> https://encoding.spec.whatwg.org/

IMO, the reason for this specification is that the author had little
knowledge of character encoding, and used the exercise of writing a new
document as a way to acquire that knowledge, and, of course, to rewrite the
world of encodings in his PoV.

I suppose the reason the author would give, however, is that it was
intended to document existing practice or best practice or something in
between. Again, one questions the authority to do something of that sort
from one new to the subject.

That's just my two cents. Do not interpret my comments as an attack on the
author. I have a lot of respect for him. Just not on this subject.