Re: Hyphenation and language

On 1/29/15, 11:55 AM, "Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org> wrote:

>fwiw, I just read a nice paragraph in Robert Bringhurst's Elements of
>Typographic Style that provides nice examples for
>
>4.1.2 Choosing hyphenation points
>4.1.2.1 Language
>http://www.w3.org/TR/dpub-latinreq/#language

>"In English we hyphenate cab-ri-o-let but in French ca-brio-let. The old
>German rule which hyphentaed Glockenspiel as Glok-kenspiel was changed
>by law in 1998, but when össze is broken in Hungarian, it still turns
>into ösz-sze. In Spanish the double consonants ll and rr are never
>divided. (The only permissible hyphenation in the phrease arroz con
>pollo is thus arroz con po-llo.) The conventions of each language are a
>part of its typographic heritage and should normally be followed, even
>when setting single foreign words or brief quotations."

On the subject of hyphenation, Chrome is the only major browser left that
doesn’t support any automatic hyphenation at all. There was a bit of
chatter on the bug for this earlier this week, and they may be starting
(again) to work on it. If you’re inclined, you can add your vote for
fixing this problem by clicking the star on this issue:

Thanks,

Alan