Re: [CSS Flexbox] Add explicit text about direction's relationship to 'start' and 'end' keywords [I18N-ISSUE-388]

On 11/05/2014 02:40 PM, Phillips, Addison wrote:

> Section 2
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css-flexbox-1/#box-model
>
> Although the text refers in a number of places to direction in an appropriate way,
> it might be useful to explicitly say here that the 'start' and 'end' terms appear
> in some documents in a different location than the top/left and bottom/right side
> as shown in the illustration.

Hi Addison!
This section is showing off the flex-relative directions. These aren't actually
relative to the writing mode, they're relative to the 'flex-flow' value. So
even in an English-only environment, the diagrams here are representing only
one possibility.

If you click through to the 'flex-flow' definition, it does explain that the
'flex-flow' values are writing-mode relative, and shows examples in both English
horizontal writing and Japanese vertical writing.

Since you point it out, I did add a mention of writing-mode dependence in the
same sentence as the one explaining the flex-flow dependence, though.

Let me know if that's sufficient or we need to do something else to make it
clear that the diagrams only represent the default state of things. The entire
point of this section is to create terminology that is abstracted enough to
describe things in a physical-direction-independent way! If that's not somehow
clear, then clearly the section has failed entirely in its purpose.

~fantasai