Re: Styling vertical text, initial article and interactive tests

On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 05:10 +0800, Bobby Tung wrote:
> > Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org> 於 2015年5月27日 上午3:00 寫道:
> >
> > On Tue, 2015-05-26 at 13:08 -0400, Elizabeth J. Pyatt wrote:
> >
> > [...]
>
> > Questions such as where the underline goes if you have
> > an English word inside an Arabic phrase set vertically in Chinese
> > do come up in practice, e.g. in Malaysia.
>
> That's funny. In Traditional Chinese, there are two punctuations to
> mark up people's name, place name and book title, one is underline
> and wavy underline is another.[1]
>
> In vertical writing, they are always on the left side to characters.
> So usually followed the rule, left side.

One problem comes when you have sideways English (say) - now the
underline to the left is on top of the English rather than underneath.
Or, if you have a single Chinese character inside that span of
sideways English, and the English is underlined for emphasis.

So, unfortunately, there probably isn't a single answer for all
situations.

I should try to dig up the examples we were sent for the XSL-FO work,
which came from implementors and their customers.

Thanks for the example!

Liam