W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > October to December 2014

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2014-12-04

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 17:24:09 +0000
Message-ID: <548098B9.9030402@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2014/12/04-i18n-minutes.html





Text version follows:

Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

04 Dec 2014

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2014Dec/0003.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2014/12/04-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Leandro, aphillip, Richard, matial, JcK, DennisTan,
           bobby, somnath

    Regrets
           Steve

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           aphillip

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]RADAR and Active Work Review
          5. [9]Indic Layout Requirements FPWD Transition Request
          6. [10]Review the Chinese Layout Task Force charter
          7. [11]Review of EAI
          8. [12]AOB?
      * [13]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda

Action Items

    [14]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [14] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-356?

    <trackbot> action-356 -- Leandro Reis to Work on converting
    cldr alphabetic index data to css predefined counter styles
    using automatic means, evaluating suitability of the data, and
    report back to wg -- due 2014-11-06 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [15]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/356

      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/356

    leandro: contacted cldr folks
    ... got a reply that the index characters would work for most
    languages but not all

    <r12a> shervin ashfar

    leandro: one person mentioned that there is an open ticket for
    this

    <Leandro> [16]http://unicode.org/cldr/trac/ticket/7954

      [16] http://unicode.org/cldr/trac/ticket/7954

    leandro: ticket above is to investigate adding this data to
    cldr
    ... in addition worked on a script to extract the data
    ... working with index characters
    ... but should be used once data is in cldr
    ... will share what I have now for evaluation

    action-362?

    <trackbot> action-362 -- Leandro Reis to Share information
    about public knowledge base materials for use on w3c site --
    due 2014-11-07 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [17]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/362

      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/362

    leandro: willing to help to move to github

    close action-362

    <trackbot> Closed action-362.

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: set up github location for
    knowledgebase material [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2014/12/04-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-377 - Set up github location for
    knowledgebase material [on Addison Phillips - due 2014-12-11].

    action-367?

    <trackbot> action-367 -- John Klensin to Send richard
    coordinates for standards folks in china related to ebooks,
    etc. -- due 2014-11-20 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [19]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/367

      [19] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/367

    action-368?

    <trackbot> action-368 -- Dennis Tan Tanaka to Ping jck about
    chinese people working on eai -- due 2014-11-20 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [20]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/368

      [20] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/368

    JcK: at a meeting in Beijing on EAI deployment in october

    close action-368

    <trackbot> Closed action-368.

    close action-372

    close action-373

    close action-374

    <trackbot> Closed action-372.

    <trackbot> Closed action-373.

    <trackbot> Closed action-374.

Info Share

RADAR and Active Work Review

    [21]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

      [21] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

    addison: added dpub annotations and web annotations

    [22]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

      [22] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

Indic Layout Requirements FPWD Transition Request

    [23]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/indic-layout/

      [23] http://www.w3.org/International/docs/indic-layout/

    richard: doc needs to move to FPWD so we can send for wide
    review
    ... somnath and his colleagues have made changes to it based on
    comments
    ... question is whether to move to FPWD
    ... a few outstanding issues
    ... two people have sent in comments: Norbert, Hariraam
    ... Norbert sent in a large list
    ... also martin raised issue of whether we have permission to
    publish the pictures

    somnath: items in document are locally copyright free
    ... regarding norbert's comments
    ... only working on specific languages currently
    ... can get more reviews if we publish FPWD

    richard: don't have a problem starting in Hindi
    ... you mentioned Tibetan - note that Chinese Layout TF will
    work on Tibetan
    ... starting with Devanagari and then moving on to other
    languages okay

    somnath: updated references

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: establish a tracker for the Indic
    Layout requirements document [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2014/12/04-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-378 - Establish a tracker for the
    indic layout requirements document [on Addison Phillips - due
    2014-12-11].

    richard: suggest that somnath (et al) respond directly to
    comments on the public-i18n-indic list
    ... before we publish as FPWD
    ... just respond to the emails that have come in

    <scribe> ACTION: somnath: respond to all comment emails
    publicly and prepare updated draft of Indic layout document and
    send to richard [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2014/12/04-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-379 - Respond to all comment emails
    publicly and prepare updated draft of indic layout document and
    send to richard [on Somnath Chandra - due 2014-12-11].

    richard: please run the spell checker and check for other typos
    - there are still quite a lot

Review the Chinese Layout Task Force charter

    <r12a>
    [26]http://www.w3.org/International/groups/chinese-layout/chart
    er-ri

      [26] http://www.w3.org/International/groups/chinese-layout/charter-ri

    [27]http://www.w3.org/International/groups/chinese-layout/chart
    er-ri

      [27] http://www.w3.org/International/groups/chinese-layout/charter-ri

    richard: potential chairs have been pinged
    ... need to take this to my domain
    ... have some substantive comments
    ... remove IG Note publication step
    ... no objections?

    (none recorded)

    richard: better way to identify who the TF is and what they are
    doing
    ... internal mailing list similar to member@
    ... require them to announce meetings
    ... publish minutes
    ... and list who participated

    addison: agree with that

    bobby: +1
    ... not sure where others are

    richard: (discussion of "Chinese language" v. "languages of
    China")
    ... a large substantive change proposal...
    ... joining the mailing list should not be the same as being a
    member of the TF
    ... should require approval
    ... TF are people contributing time consistently
    ... public discussions and anyone can participate in those
    ... but not TF members
    ... need a separate way to apply to join
    ... have a group in member db

    addison: proposal? by invitation?

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: contact beihang staff with additional
    comments and suggested changes to CLTF charter [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2014/12/04-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-380 - Contact beihang staff with
    additional comments and suggested changes to cltf charter [on
    Richard Ishida - due 2014-12-11].

Review of EAI

    [29]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/EAI_Address_Issues

      [29] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/EAI_Address_Issues

    richard: think we should clearly say somewhere that we are just
    trying to understand the situation here

    proposed-ACTION: addison: update the wiki page on EAI and
    clarify fully the current situation based on today's
    teleconference, adding the reference to the EAI page when
    received from JcK

    <Leandro> I need to drop off to attend another meeting. Talk to
    you next week.

    <scribe> ACTION: JcK: check on EAI documentation pages and send
    a link to the WG [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2014/12/04-i18n-minutes.html#action05]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-381 - Check on eai documentation
    pages and send a link to the wg [on John Klensin - due
    2014-12-11].

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: update the wiki page on EAI and
    clarify fully the current situation based on today's
    teleconference, adding the reference to the EAI page when
    received from JcK [recorded in
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2014/12/04-i18n-minutes.html#action06]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-382 - Update the wiki page on eai and
    clarify fully the current situation based on today's
    teleconference, adding the reference to the eai page when
    received from jck [on Addison Phillips - due 2014-12-11].

AOB?

    addison: will beg mercy from XSLT for one more week

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: establish a tracker for the Indic Layout
    requirements document [recorded in
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2014/12/04-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: set up github location for knowledgebase
    material [recorded in
    [33]http://www.w3.org/2014/12/04-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: update the wiki page on EAI and clarify
    fully the current situation based on today's teleconference,
    adding the reference to the EAI page when received from JcK
    [recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2014/12/04-i18n-minutes.html#action06]
    [NEW] ACTION: JcK: check on EAI documentation pages and send a
    link to the WG [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2014/12/04-i18n-minutes.html#action05]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: contact beihang staff with additional
    comments and suggested changes to CLTF charter [recorded in
    [36]http://www.w3.org/2014/12/04-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: somnath: respond to all comment emails publicly
    and prepare updated draft of Indic layout document and send to
    richard [recorded in
    [37]http://www.w3.org/2014/12/04-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 4 December 2014 17:24:23 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 21 September 2016 22:37:38 UTC