Re: [css-text] letter-spacing tests

On 10/10/14 09:08, Richard Ishida wrote:
> I threw together some quick i18n tests for letter-spacing. You can see
> pictures of the results by following the links below.
>
> It appears that browsers generally take glyphs as the basis from which
> to apply the letter-spacing, rather than starting with characters, and
> the end result is therefore usually incorrect for non-latin cases, and
> highly font-dependent.
>

> http://www.w3.org/International/2014/letter-spacing/mac-chrome.png
> http://www.w3.org/International/2014/letter-spacing/mac-firefox.png
> http://www.w3.org/International/2014/letter-spacing/mac-safari.png
> http://www.w3.org/International/2014/letter-spacing/windows-ie.png
>

> Perhaps the spec should make it clearer that the basic starting point
> for application of letter-spacing should be the characters that make up
> the relevant typographic text units rather than the glyphs in the font?
>

> Detailed summation of results:
>
> French
> Assertion: The letter-space property produces spaces between grapheme
> clusters for French text for decomposed sequences of characters.
>
> All browsers tested produced the expected result (except that they added
> space after the last character - this effect was common to all tests and
> so will not be mentioned again.)

It would be interesting to extend this decomposed-sequence test to more
generic Latin-script cases, including not just French letters but also
examples where it is unlikely the font will include precomposed glyphs
for the base+accent combinations involved. I suspect this will bring out
some differences....

JK