Re: [Encoding] false statement [I18N-ACTION-328][I18N-ISSUE-374]

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 9:07 PM, John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org> wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren scripsit:
>> Writing systems that cannot be done in Unicode cannot be done on the
>> web. There's no infrastructure in place for such systems. (Apart from
>> PUA font hacks.)
>
> Font hacks (whether PUA or Win1252) *are* the infrastructure in place
> for such systems.

Agreed. Also, I'm not sure why Andrew takes offense, I was merely
describing the status quo. When it comes to text we deal in scalar
values. If Unicode does not cover something you need to hack around
that. Where that affects people that is bad and should be fixed, but
that discussion is out of place here. All Encoding is about is bytes
<> scalar values. Whereas Andrew keeps bringing up something along the
lines of glyph <> scalar values, which is orthogonal and out of scope.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/