Re: Two new encoding related articles for review

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com> wrote:

> I'd like to suggest that the "Avoid these encodings" section at the
> bottom of the "Choosing and applying a character set" document should
> be merged into the "Choosing an encoding" section at the top of that
> document.  You are saying the same thing in two places but slightly
> differently (leading to confusion), and the "Avoid these encodings"
> section is (IMHO) one of the most important bits of the document - it
> should be up front.
>
> I'd write it like this:
>
> ## Choosing an encoding
>
> Encode new content in UTF-8.  All of the present generation of Web
> standards, servers, clients, and libraries are designed to work best
> with UTF-8, and it allows you to use the same encoding for all of your
> content regardless of language.  If you have a corpus of "legacy"
> content in some other encoding, you are strongly encouraged to convert
> it within your server and send clients UTF-8 anyway.
>
> If it is *impossible* for you to send UTF-8 over the network, you need
> to be aware that many other historical encodings are poorly, or not at
> all, supported by Web clients.  [The Encoding Standard] contains an
> *exhaustive* list of "legacy" character encodings that are supported:
> anything not in the list simply will not work.
>
> Furthermore, UTF-32, UTF-16, JIS_C6226-1983, JIS_X0212-1990,
> HZ-GB-2312, JOHAB (Windows code page 1361), CESU-8, UTF-7, BOCU-1,
> SCSU, ISO-2022 (all varieties), and EBCDIC (all varieties) MUST NOT be
> used.  These encodings are *ASCII-incompatible* -- that is, in these
> encodings, octets with values 00 through 7F (hexadecimal) are not
> always interpreted as Unicode code points U+0000 through U+007F.  This
> has historically been a source of security vulnerabilities.

It seems strange for a guideline to say "MUST NOT". I would suggest SHOULD
NOT is more appropriate. In any case, we shouldn't be in the business of
telling content authors what they can or can't do. If they want to use an
encoding that isn't well supported, then the risk is theirs.