Re: For review: Update to "Declaring character encodings in HTML"

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:20:35 +0100, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org> wrote:

> An updated version of Declaring character encodings in HTML[1] is out
> for review at
>
> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-html-encoding-declarations-new
>
> We are looking for comments before 7 March. Please send comments to
> www-international@w3.org.

The first example of how a document starts that I could find in the HTML
5.1 nightly is as follows

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
<title>Swapping Songs</title>

The first one in this page is

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>

I suggest that in this new document you add an html element to that
pattern. And maybe a lang attribute.

And that good feedback to the HTML spec would help align the two
examples...

> After the review period is over, this content will be copied to the same
> location as the current version of the document, ie.
>
> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-html-encoding-declarations
>
> and the URL of the updated version will cease to exist.

Why not redirect it to the newly current version?

> The update brings the article in line with recent developments in HTML5,
> and de-emphasizes information about legacy formats.
>
> An attempt was also made to organize the material so that readers can
> find information more quickly, and also de-clutter the essential
> information by moving edge topics, such as UTF-16 and charset links,
> down the page. This led to the article being almost completely rewritten.

Which I generally think was good.