Re: Determining font for a given Unicode codepoint

John,  would the use of fontconfig on Linux imply that a user could control
or optimise fallback fonts for Firefox?

Although one issue is the support of languages and scripts not supported by
system APIs. One of the tasks waiting in my to do list is to find a cross
browser,  cross platform solutions to displaying characters in envirnoments
that content could be in any language and the site/service has no language
tailoring,  eg Facebook,  Twitter, Google,  etc.

Its not a theoretical position, rather a practical one,  raised by minority
language speakers. When I Have spare time I will map behaviour across
platforms and browsers.

And interestingly having the Last Resort font installed on my Ubuntu box,
and using Firefox to access gmail tends to have interesting effects. Font
fallback mechanisms like to select the Last Resort font for some elements
in the GMail UI.

To the non-initiated font fall back can appear to be random or chaotic.

Andrew