From: Phillips, Addison [mailto:addison@lab126.com]
Sent: Monday, February 3, 2014 3:53 PM
To: Paul Cotton
Cc: public-html@w3.org; www-international@w3.org; Travis Leithead
Subject: RE: <input type=datetime-local> HTML5 CR bugs [I18N-ACTION-279]

Hello HTML,

We discussed these issues in a pair of recent teleconferences and I’ve been actioned with replying on our behalf.

In general we agree with Travis’s email. Our concern is, indeed, that “datetime-local” falsely implies local wall time (and thus a time zone). Developers are not good at identifying floating times as it is. Confusing terminology is not helpful.

In addition to the WG’s position, I agree that the health warning doesn’t affect normativeness of the text. It’ll be good to have. I also agree with the list of both pro- and con- arguments for use of a floating datetime input field (items 1-5 below). I would tend to add that coercion to an incremental time is pretty likely to happen if you pull the data into a Date object in JS or on the server unless you are exceedingly careful. Hence the need for health warnings.

To Travis’s conclusions, I would add that floating timestamps (date *and* time are significant) are the least common case. Usually at that point you want to compute a local time value using time zone information. Generally, the use of floating time requires some forethought by developers to keep from getting into trouble. I could support removing datetime-local as a result. If it’s kept, I think I18N would prefer it to be renamed to include the word “floating” instead of the misleading “local”.

Thanks (for I18N),

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect (Amazon Lab126)