Re: Re: Guessing the fallback encoding from the top-level domain name before trying to guess from the browser localization

On Thu, 2014-01-02 at 13:40 +0100, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Henri Sivonen, Thu, 2 Jan 2014 11:48:37 +0200:

> > I think TLD-based guessing will
> > have been worthy if it successfully prevents the addition of a
> > character encoding override menu to the browser app on Firefox OS.
>
> And perhaps make some vendors drop the menu? I agree that this could be
> a subtle, good value.

Note that there are plenty of other cases where an encoding is wrongly
marked that this change would not solve. Solving the most common case is
a good thing to do, but it won't obsolete the need for an override menu.

Best,

Liam