Re: [css-text] I18N-ISSUE-324: distribute -> inter-character

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 17:48:17 +0000
To: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>
CC: "CSS WWW Style (www-style@w3.org)" <www-style@w3.org>, www International <www-international@w3.org>
>    7.3. Justification Method: the ‘text-justify’ property
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-css-text-3-20131010/#text-justify-property
>
>    text-justify: distribute
>
>    Any particular reason that this value is called 'distribute' rather than 'inter-character', which would match 'inter-word' well and make its meaning more clear to users?

Because it’s already implemented in some browsers[1], though the definitions of the values are slightly different from existing implementations because CSS took the way to use text-align-last rather than “-all-lines” in text-justify.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/ms531172(v=vs.85).aspx

/koji