Re: Proposal: Locale Preferences API

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 19:34:53 +0100
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: www-international@w3.org
Hi Richard,

On Monday, July 29, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Richard Ishida wrote:

> Hi Marcos,
>
> It seems a reasonable suggestion to allow scripts to access the
> prioritised list of browser/system language preferences, and to know
> when they are changed.
>
> I guess my concern is more for the wording of the proposal, which seems
> to suggest that this is a solution for locale management, whereas the
> information sent in the Accept-Language header is really just about
> preferred language.

Yeah, your (and everyone who responded) is totally right - my bad on screwing up the terminology :(
> It's true that often that language preferences are used as part of the
> process of inferring the locale (which typically needs region-based or
> other information over and above language), and that sometimes language
> tags can contain useful locale-related information, but the info sent in
> Accept-Language headers doesn't always represent "the end-user's
> preferred languages and regional settings" - often it's just the
> preferred languages. (See
> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-accept-lang-locales for
> more discussion around that).

Thanks for the pointer. I think Addison said to me previously that I shouldn't look at some of those documents any more as they are a bit stale. That one is still ok, right?

> That said, it seems like many of the use cases that lead to this
> proposal are actually related to managing the *language* in which the
> user is interacting with a page or app, and I think that the proposal
> certainly makes sense for that.

Exactly.
> So, I would suggest that you tighten the wording of the proposal, eg.
>
> "The idea is to expose to script the language tags that represents the
> user's locale preferences (akin to the language tags that are normally
> sent with HTTP's `Accept-Languages` header)."
> =>
> "The idea is to expose to script the language tags that are normally
> sent by the browser with HTTP's Accept-Language header, which can be
> used in determining the language of the user interface/page, and in some
> cases for an attempt at locale identification."

Integrated the text above. I've not updated the rest of the document yet - as I'm about to run off on vacation! But really appreciate your help and review :)

Kind regards,
Marcos