Re: Proposal: Locale Preferences API

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 02:53:26 -0400
To: Andrew Cunningham <lang.support@gmail.com>
Cc: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>, www-international@w3.org, acunningham@slv.vic.gov.au
Andrew Cunningham scripsit:

> Some languages use more that on script which would need to be identified,
> if the language entry in IANA registry doesn't have a suppress-script
> (which interestingly is how windows8 has started to implement languages -
> don't you love undocumented features)

Scripts never *have* to be identified; that's a matter of what's appropriate
to a given situation.  For bibliographic purposes you want them to be,
so you don't send (say) a book in the Arabic script to someone who can't
read the Arabic script.  We added Suppress-Script: only where we were 100%
sure that it belonged, and sometimes we omitted it even when we were sure.

--
Is not a patron, my Lord [Chesterfield],        John Cowan
one who looks with unconcern on a man           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan