W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > July to September 2013

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2013-07-18

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 12:38:04 +0100
Message-ID: <51EE6B1C.4060802@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2013/07/18-i18n-minutes.html




Text version follows:



Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

18 Jul 2013

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013Jul/0018.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2013/07/18-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Richard, aphillip, JcK, DavidClarke, matial, Norbert

    Regrets
    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Action Items
          2. [6]Info Share
          3. [7]RADAR
          4. [8]Bytestring in Web IDL
          5. [9]CSS counter styles
          6. [10]Info Share
          7. [11]Charmod (and friends)
          8. [12]Bidi
          9. [13]AOB?
      * [14]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Action Items

    close ACTION-215

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-215 Double-check that all .prep items
    are gone to html5.

    <r12a> [15]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    close ACTION-234

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-234 Ping Mark Davis asking if Google
    can get statistics on <bdo> usage.

    close ACTION-236

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-236 Trackerize Shapes and write to
    www-style to ask about rtlflip and writing-modes.

Info Share

    addison: on vacation next two teleconferences

    richard: rewriting tests
    ... which will someday be a Good Thing
    ... submitted first set to HTML test repo
    ... got lots of comments back
    ... so had to rewrite i18n test framework
    ... been implementing
    ... tests will all say the same thing
    ... but the script behind them will look different

RADAR

    [16]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

    [17]http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-css-fonts-3-20130711/

      [17] http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-css-fonts-3-20130711/

    shepherd needed

    addison to shepherd

    [18]https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webcomponents/raw-file/tip/spec/temp
    lates/index.html

      [18] 
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webcomponents/raw-file/tip/spec/templates/index.html

    that's a last call closing on 23 July

    norbert will take a look

Bytestring in Web IDL

    Norbert: was looking at WebIDL

    <Norbert>
    [19]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-script-coord/201
    3JulSep/thread.html#msg56

      [19] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-script-coord/2013JulSep/thread.html#msg56

    Norbert: and started discussion thread at above link
    ... found an interface called bytestring

    <Norbert>
    [20]http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#idl-ByteString

      [20] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#idl-ByteString

    Norbert: it's a weird type for capturing a string a bytes

    <Norbert>
    [21]http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#idl-ByteString

      [21] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#idl-ByteString

    Norbert: and comes with default conversion to JS String
    ... and depends on ISO 8859-1
    ... can't specify other encodings
    ... XHR was source
    ... and byte mapping to chars of same value
    ... spreads the use of Latin-1 to new specs???
    ... started discussion
    ... can't remove from XHR (legacy reasons)
    ... but could remove from IDL spec
    ... new spec called Fetch wants to expose just bytes

    JcK: every place I look at bytestring in combo with chars
    ... feels like deeper into a hole

    <scribe> ... continued use of datatype is a Bad Thing

    <scribe> ACTION: Norbert: produce one-pager summary of WebIDL
    Bytestring and alternatives for consideration by WG [recorded
    in [22]http://www.w3.org/2013/07/18-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-241 - Produce one-pager summary of
    WebIDL Bytestring and alternatives for consideration by WG [on
    Norbert Lindenberg - due 2013-07-25].

CSS counter styles

    [23]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013J
    ul/0016.html

      [23] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013Jul/0016.html

    (*) The document contains a reference to a list of
    non-normative but ready-to-use counter definitions maintained
    by the I18N WG. (Also useful as examples of what counter styles
    look like.)

    [24]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/counter-styles/

      [24] http://www.w3.org/International/docs/counter-styles/

    richard: mean to publish FPWD out for review
    ... few things recommended while I was in Japan
    ... need to dig out those comments

    <scribe> chair: please indicate desire (or opposition) to
    publishing this document as FPWD

    addison: +1

    <r12a> +1 (of course)

    <Norbert> +1

    <DavidClarke> +1

    Norbert: can we get rid of all the red coloring in the
    document?

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: publish FPWD of counter-styles WG
    Note [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2013/07/18-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-242 - Publish FPWD of counter-styles
    WG Note [on Richard Ishida - due 2013-07-25].

    addison: who wants to shepherd counter-styles (the CSS
    document)?

    richard to shepherd

    richard: will get rid of red coloring
    ... Tab suggested reducing length of lines
    ... but if wrapped it's harder to see
    ... the relationships

    JcK: printing and other devices might not look so good

Info Share

    richard: doing an article about what's going on in I18N
    activity
    ... "Around the WWW in 80 Seconds"
    ... tell me if there are things to mention

Charmod (and friends)

    - edit session: when - PRECIS
    [26]http://tools.ietf.org/wg/precis/

      [26] http://tools.ietf.org/wg/precis/

    edit session at Unicode conference

    and do an online one first

    target late august

    Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings (Active
    WG)

    JcK: following it some
    ... moving down the path of one protocol == one set of rules
    ... possibly different rules (many of them for many protocols)

    addison: should agree on vocabulary and definitions

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: remind everyone to read PRECIS
    documents for discussion of charmod-norm [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2013/07/18-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-243 - Remind everyone to read PRECIS
    documents for discussion of charmod-norm [on Addison Phillips -
    due 2013-07-25].

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: write to the PRECIS list pointing out
    similarity of activity and need/desire to get similar
    definitions/recommendations where it makes sense [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2013/07/18-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-244 - Write to the PRECIS list
    pointing out similarity of activity and need/desire to get
    similar definitions/recommendations where it makes sense [on
    Addison Phillips - due 2013-07-25].

Bidi

    mati: submitted to ICU support for UBA added features
    ... hope that's in next release?
    ... bracket pairing, etc.

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: remind everyone to read PRECIS documents
    for discussion of charmod-norm [recorded in
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2013/07/18-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: write to the PRECIS list pointing out
    similarity of activity and need/desire to get similar
    definitions/recommendations where it makes sense [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2013/07/18-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: Norbert: produce one-pager summary of WebIDL
    Bytestring and alternatives for consideration by WG [recorded
    in [31]http://www.w3.org/2013/07/18-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: publish FPWD of counter-styles WG Note
    [recorded in
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2013/07/18-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    [End of minutes]



-- 
Richard Ishida, W3C
http://rishida.net/
Received on Tuesday, 23 July 2013 11:38:33 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 23 July 2013 11:38:33 UTC