W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > July to September 2013

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2013-07-11

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 06:18:45 +0100
Message-ID: <51DF91B5.9000608@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2013/07/11-i18n-minutes.html



Text version follows:


Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

11 Jul 2013

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013Jul/0008.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2013/07/11-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, JohnK, Richard, Norbert, Aharon, Mati, David

    Regrets
    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           aphillip

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]ellipses and @dir
          5. [9]TPAC
          6. [10]inter-character annotation
          7. [11]Charmod-Norm
          8. [12]AOB?
      * [13]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Info Share

    richard: working on tests

    <r12a> [14]http://www.w3.org/International/tests/

      [14] http://www.w3.org/International/tests/

    richard: still a ways to go, but rewriting many of the tests
    ... basic idea is to script scriptable tests
    ... so framework can see if tests passed or failed
    ... or ref tests (compare this page against a known good page)
    ... rewrote framework so we can export these tests into
    flatfiles
    ... for "test the web forward" initiative
    ... did some of that previously, but test framework progressed

    <scribe> ... new ones with blue background ("in development")

    ... organized by section of the spec being tested

    richard: aharon, need to work on bidi tests
    ... have a feeling some rewriting and need more tests
    ... share things needed?

    aharon: many tests present
    ... test writing group working on them
    ... they haven't been submitted yet
    ... what we have could be sent, but only fraction of what's
    intended

ellipsis and @dir

    aharon: talked to CSS-WG
    ... current spec on ellipsis is ambiguous
    ... can't be interpreted as requiring logical truncation
    ... tried to look up discussion
    ... was in f2f a couple years ago
    ... not very detailed arguments
    ... responded
    ... mati agreed with main parts of argument, some further
    detailed discussion
    ... could discuss minor point of where to draw ellipsis
    ... IE and WK put ellipsis at visual end rather than logical
    end
    ... no action on the bug yet
    ... on a different but from amir ahroni
    ... where he asked for isolation for both lang and dir
    ... Hixie responded that we should clone if WHAT-WG should
    consider

    richard: should happen automagically, per Robin?
    ... forward email to him and inquire?

    <scribe> ACTION: aharon: ping Robin to notify that the bidi bug
    wasn't cloned to see if there's a gap in process [recorded in
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2013/07/11-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    aharon: thinking about email to Mark
    ... question posed might not want to be asked
    ... effect on <bdo>
    ... should cause more concern on regular in-line elements like
    <span>
    ... same kind of change

    action-234: need to indicate no longer interested

    <trackbot> Notes added to ACTION-234 Ping Mark Davis asking if
    Google can get statistics on <bdo> usage.

    aharon: should be isolated too

TPAC

    norbert: you got us space mon/tue which are the days I can't go
    ... anyone else going?

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: move our tpac days to thurs/fri
    [recorded in
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2013/07/11-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-240 - Move our tpac days to thurs/fri
    [on Addison Phillips - due 2013-07-18].

inter-character annotation

    discussion of tate-chu-yoko

    richard: something in open type to support

    <aharon> Have to go. Bye everybody.

    richard: substitution of glyphs (so maybe half sized glyphs)
    ... etc.
    ... then use that to get right sized horizontal glyphs
    ... up to browser how to get these in
    ... solution should say something like "if you have a mechanism
    such as x-and-y opentype feature"

    addison: auto TCY unlikely

    richard: intro to unicode: shouldn't use zenkaku characters?
    ... will probably change what I say
    ... john d was looking for support
    ... if anyone interested, might want to read thread

Charmod-Norm

    [17]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/charmod-norm/

      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/docs/charmod-norm/

    "Searching and Matching Textual Content"

    norbert: identifiers vs. natural language text: make clear in
    chapter titles

    <matial> Have to leave. Bye.

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: move our tpac days to thurs/fri
    [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2013/07/11-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    [PENDING] ACTION: aharon: ping Robin to notify that the bidi
    bug wasn't cloned to see if there's a gap [recorded in
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2013/07/11-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]

-- 
Richard Ishida, W3C
http://rishida.net/
Received on Friday, 12 July 2013 05:19:15 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 12 July 2013 05:19:15 UTC