Re: I18N-ISSUE-246: Clarify character encoding behavior when calculating storage size [ITS-20]

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 10:56:22 +0000
To: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Cc: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>, "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>, Arle Lommel <arle.lommel@dfki.de>, Stephan Walter <stephan.walter@cocomore.com>, Norbert Lindenberg <w3@norbertlindenberg.com>, Yves Savourel <ysavourel@enlaso.com>, "public-multilingualweb-lt-comments@w3.org" <public-multilingualweb-lt-comments@w3.org>, www-international <www-international@w3.org>
On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> wrote:
> Rationale for this change is reflecting hopefully all raised concerns:
>
> -- UTF-8 encoding is a default value of storageEncoding attribute, so
> there is no need to repeat this in a note
>
> -- It has been pointed out that storage size mechanism is targeted for
> generating output resources that are loaded into various components and
> devices. Many of such devices are legacy and do not support UTF-8 so
> requiring UTF-8 support will not be aligned with the reality and will be
> artificial requirement.

Nevertheless, you could still add a note that encourages using it as
it's the only encoding that's non-problematic going forward and ports
across a wide variety of platforms. If there are still systems that do
not support utf-8, they better start figuring out a migration story.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/