RE: "Saying that something is not in a locale" with BCP 47

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 17:48:45 +0000
To: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>, www-international <www-international@w3.org>
CC: "public-multilingualweb-lt-comments@w3.org" <public-multilingualweb-lt-comments@w3.org>
Hi Felix,

Language tags (and language ranges) are mostly about selection, so there is no built-in means of doing what you're looking for. I don't think adding such a subtag would be a good idea either (where would you put it where it wouldn't be disturbed by a fallback mechanism? What happens if your value is a language priority list?).

I think a better means of doing this is having a separate attribute that is like "its-locale-filter-list", only as an exclusion list ("its-locale-exclusion-list"). Then it is easy to write:

Addison