Re: Language ranges with more than two sub-tag

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 18:32:17 +0900
To: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
CC: www-international@w3.org
Hello Marcos,

There are certainly language tags with more than two sub-tags.
zh-Hant-HK (traditional Chinese as used in Hong Kong) would be an
example. CLDR (cldr.unicode.org) and/or LDML
(www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/) definitely use these for fallbacks in a
way similar to what you write about.

I'm sure that you will get some more detailed feedback on this list in
the next few hours/days; if not, please write to ietf-languages@iana.org
or ltru@ietf.org, and you will definitely get more information and pointers.

It would be great if the SysApp's working group would reuse existing and
well-tested mechanisms rather than invent something on their own, but I
guess that's why you are writing to us.

Regards,   Martin.