Re: Ruby extension: empty ruby text

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 16:36:28 +0000
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
CC: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, 'WWW International' <www-international@w3.org>, CJK discussion <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>, Ishii Koji <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
On 25/02/2013 15:31, Robin Berjon wrote:
> On 22/02/2013 03:12 , fantasai wrote:
>> On 02/15/2013 11:52 AM, Richard Ishida wrote:
>>> http://rishida.net/misc/ruby/ruby-authoring.html ...
>> These are very interesting examples! I have a couple questions on them.
>> In the example with 振り仮名...
>>    - In the markup with an empty <rt>, it would render correctly, but
>>      the accessibility story would be broken because you would replace
>>      り with nothing if you were replacing the bases with their <rt>s.
> Would it break if the accessibility algorithm were: "replace the base
> with the annotation UNLESS the annotation is empty"? It's not hard to
> specify.

Not sure whether you were asking me or Fantasai, but it sounds good to me.

One thing I haven't yet asked, but keep meaning to, is whether we expect
people to regularly sandwich hiragana/katakana in ruby elements for
simplicity. Imagine, for example, a sentence composed of (K)anji and
(h)iragana as follows, where the last three h's are the gramatical
ending of a verb:

would we require people to do

or would it be ok to save a lot of typing and do

which could be marked up as follows where B=ruby base, a=ruby text,
h=hiragana and <space>=empty rt:

<ruby>BBaaBBaah BBaah Kahhh </ruby>

Its very tempting to do that, especially for a long text that needs
rubification by hand.

Richard Ishida