Re: mismatch of html translate and ITS translate

Hi all,

On 22.02.2013 10:33, Felix Sasaki wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
> one process thing: please keep the www-international list in the loop,
> since the i18n guys will need to look into the issue too. One comment
> below.
>
> Am 22.02.13 10:27, schrieb Karl Fritsche:

>>> I think that HTML5 spec should be changed and attributes should be
>>> removed from translation. Or as a compromise only title and alt
>>> attributes should be considered as translateable.
>>>
>>>             Jirka
>>>
>> The Problem in HTML5 is, you don't have any option to allow
>> translation of attributes.
>
> But where do you need this, except title and alt?
>
>> We can use rules, but this doesn't exists in HTML5. Thats why they
>> using this behavior, I think.
>
> Actually implementations don't use this - I checked the online MT
> translation systems that do HTML translation, and they don't translate
> attributes.
>
>> And to say some attributes are considered to be translatable and
>> others not, would be very confusing. Specially what are you doing
>> with data-* attributes - are they are translatable or not? Thats why
>> I think they considered everything as translatable and the
>> translation software should handle this.
>
> So you are saying we should disalign ITS XML "translate" versus HTML
> "translate"? What will happen then for workflows like with
> Linguaserve, who do XML processing of XHTML files as part of their
> workflow chain?

No, we should definitely find a solution, which in the best case is the
same for ITS and HTML. Only wanted to clarify, that maybe somebody want
also translate his data-* attribute, but in HTML5 you can't specify,
which attribute should be translated and which not.

Best,
Karl

--
*Karl Fritsche*, Junior Software Developer
Tel.: +49 69 972 69 2604; Mob.: +49 1520 206 30 93; Fax: +49 69 972 69