W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > January to March 2013

[minutes] Internationalization WG telecon 2013-02-21

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 17:31:58 +0000
Message-ID: <51265A0E.5030009@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2013/02/21-i18n-minutes.html






Text version follows:



  Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

21 Feb 2013

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013Feb/0017.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2013/02/21-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           aphillip, DavidClarke, fsasaki(30min), Richard,
           joconner, fantasai, Norbert, darobin, Aharon (last 30
           min)

    Regrets
           john klensin

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           John O'Conner

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Draft Review of Ruby Spec
          5. [9]Approve Ruby UC as WG Note
          6. [10]Isolating Direction in Bidi
          7. [11]text-decoration
          8. [12]CharMod-Norm
          9. [13]AOB?
      * [14]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda

    addison: nothing new for agenda

Action Items

    <r12a> [15]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    norbert: no eta on action item

    <aphillip>
    [16]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/FloatingTime

      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/FloatingTime

    addison: floating times in progress, not complete

    <aphillip> close ACTION-179

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-179 Publish BOM document.

    addison: add floating times to pipeline

    <r12a> ACTION: Addison to add floating times to pipeline
    [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2013/02/21-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-186 - Add floating times to pipeline
    [on Addison Phillips - due 2013-02-28].

    <aphillip> close ACTION-181

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-181 Add shepherds list to review radar
    page.

    <aphillip>
    [18]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/CharmodNormProposal201
    3

      [18] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/CharmodNormProposal2013

    <aphillip>
    [19]http://inter-locale.com/w3c/charmod-norm-1.1-draft.html

      [19] http://inter-locale.com/w3c/charmod-norm-1.1-draft.html

    <aphillip> close ACTION-184

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-184 Remind group to review berjon's
    ruby spec extension proposal.

    <aphillip> close ACTION-185

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-185 Publish blog post as wiki, put on
    front door, and announce to winter list.

Info Share

    richard: unicode will published blog post re status of
    non-characters as first in a future list of posts that echo
    Unicode announcements

    addison: added ruby as wg note on agenda

Draft Review of Ruby Spec

    <r12a> [20]http://darobin.github.com/html-ruby/

      [20] http://darobin.github.com/html-ruby/

    <r12a>
    [21]http://berjon.com/tmp/inception/playground/render-ruby/

      [21] http://berjon.com/tmp/inception/playground/render-ruby/

    <r12a> [22]http://rishida.net/misc/ruby/ruby-authoring.html

      [22] http://rishida.net/misc/ruby/ruby-authoring.html

    <aphillip> richard: discuss document

    richard: wrote article that shows how to markup ruby and
    outlines conformance

    <darobin> [motivation is essentially from
    [23]http://www.w3.org/TR/ruby-use-cases/ and
    [24]http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/weblog/2011/ruby/]

      [23] http://www.w3.org/TR/ruby-use-cases/
      [24] http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/weblog/2011/ruby/

    fantasai: discusses ruby use cases
    ... css engine must implement 2 layout models for ruby.
    ... html5 model for ruby is sufficient for simple cases
    ... more complicated use cases require more markup
    ... ruby model requires a lot of explicit markup

    fantasai: double sided ruby requires additional rtc tag

    <aphillip> rb.rb.rt.rt.rb.rb.rt.rt

    richard: clarifies point in discussion of ruby

    <r12a> [25]http://rishida.net/misc/ruby/ruby-authoring.html

      [25] http://rishida.net/misc/ruby/ruby-authoring.html

    …refer to section 1.1 and 1.3

    fantasai: what inline behavior is wanted?

    …problem with 3.3 is that we don't have enough information

    …word boundaries aren't available

    …what fallback behavior is wanted?

    …from layout perspective, supporting all 3 is complicated

    addison: next steps?
    ... html group will publish extension spec
    ... document looks good

    <aphillip> addison: to endorse, we would solicit larger
    feedback from winter@ and cjk@

    richard: problems: how to attach styling to rb

    … and fallback

    darobin; provides options including changing html parser

    ….can also expose as api

    richard: should we specify default locations for base?

    richard: need implementation before end of year to include
    double sided ruby

    fantasai: will require change to over/under

    <aphillip> richard: max of 2 sets per base

    <aphillip> ACTION: richard: provide darobin with contacts in
    browser vendors [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2013/02/21-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-187 - Provide darobin with contacts
    in browser vendors for ruby ext spec impl [on Richard Ishida -
    due 2013-02-28].

    richard: inform robin about google contacts

Approve Ruby UC as WG Note

    <aphillip> richard: publish use cases documents

    <r12a> [27]http://rishida.net/misc/ruby/ruby-authoring.html

      [27] http://rishida.net/misc/ruby/ruby-authoring.html

    richard: should merge two docs — use cases and ruby-authoring
    doc

    addison: can't approved until merged work done

    <aphillip> ACTION: richard: merge ruby documents for
    publication as a WG Note [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2013/02/21-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-188 - Merge ruby documents for
    publication as a WG Note [on Richard Ishida - due 2013-02-28].

Isolating Direction in Bidi

    richard: suggests that using language isn't right approach

    <Najib-ma> Hello all,

    <Najib-ma> I'm not in favor of @lang attribute (also) for bidi
    purpose

    <Najib-ma> @lang attribute may be used for the purpose of
    rendering; e.g. speech, styling, font-type/size), etc. In
    general not to change direction of text.

    <Najib-ma> That's all

    aharon: provides example of phone number that should be
    isolated and lang is inappropriate

    addison: need to finalize directionality first

    <aphillip> aharon: @dir vs @direction, problem with length of
    name? discuss with fantasai

    richard: admits that "direction" is long, but suggests that it
    is self-describing

    fantasai: suggests that transition costs is high

    richard: want to move to an attribute based solution

    <aphillip> addison: thanks, we agreed to deal with direction
    first and may consider @lang in the future

    fantasai: lri aproach isn't confusing

    r12a: we'd welcome an alternative name for direction but we
    couldn't come up with anything as straightforward and intuitive
    - note that we intend to replace dir with it - we discussed all
    these things already and tried to summarise in the wiki page

text-decoration

    <aphillip> fantasai: whitespace skip

    <aphillip> ... should that be Unicode space class charactes

    <aphillip> ... or also separators like ethoipic word space

    richard: suggests that question be asked on email list

    <aphillip> richard: ask in email

CharMod-Norm

    <aphillip>
    [29]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/CharmodNormProposal201
    3

      [29] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/CharmodNormProposal2013

    addison: rewriting requirements, asking others to review

AOB?

    <aphillip> aharon: set up a time to discuss direction

    <aphillip> ... need live time

    <aphillip> addison: next week or sooner?

    <aphillip> ... will reserve major block next week for bidi

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Addison to add floating times to pipeline
    [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2013/02/21-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: merge ruby documents for publication as
    a WG Note [recorded in
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2013/02/21-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: provide darobin with contacts in browser
    vendors [recorded in
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2013/02/21-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    [End of minutes]


-- 
Richard Ishida
W3C
http://rishida.net/
Received on Thursday, 21 February 2013 17:32:32 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 21 February 2013 17:32:32 GMT