Re: Comments on CSS3 Text Decoration

On 02/01/2013 01:10 PM, Phillips, Addison wrote:
> Dear WWW-Style,
>
> The following pair of comments were briefly reviewed in the I18N WG's last
> teleconference, but we didn't have time to reach closure on endorsing them.
> I am thus submitting them as individual comments. Both are minor editorial
> comments.

Thanks for submitting your comments!

> These comments are tracked: https://www.w3.org/International/track/products/36
>
> [I18N-ISSUE-248]
>
> 2.5 "text-decoration-skip": the value "spaces" is defined as:
>
> --
> Skip white space: this includes regular spaces (U+0020) and tabs (U+0009), as well as nbsp (U+00A0), ideographic space (U+3000), all fixed width spaces (such as U+2000–U+200A, U+202F and U+205F), and any adjacent letter-spacing or word-spacing.
> --
>
> Comments:
>
> - the term "regular spaces" should probably just be "space", e.g.:
>
> "... this includes space (U+0020) and tab (U+0009) characters, as well as..."

I noticed your original comments to the i18nwg also included
   " - this is an incomplete looking definition. Define to include all whitespace?"

So I also made the change to include all of Unicode general category Z.
I'm not sure if this is correct for the Ogham Space Mark U+1680, but
it's probably ok. Unsure about the Mongolian Vowel Separator, but I'm
following up by asking Martin Heijdra about that...

   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text-decor-3/#text-decoration-skip-property

However, this brings up an issue: what about the visible "spaces", e.g.
Ethiopic Word Space U+1361? Should those also be skipped if the style
you're going for is skipping spaces between words? Or do people not
skip visible word separators the way we sometimes skip spaces in our
underlining?

~fantasai