W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > January to March 2013

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2013-01-31

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 17:42:51 +0000
Message-ID: <510AAD1B.5030705@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html




Text version follows:


Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

31 Jan 2013

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013Jan/0081.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Norbert, Felix, John, Richard

    Regrets
           Mati

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda and Minutes
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Scribing
          5. [9]Ruby and Directionality in ITS2.0
          6. [10]Publishing BOM article
          7. [11]AOB?
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: ping anne about encoding spec
    [recorded in
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-176 - Ping anne about encoding spec
    [on Addison Phillips - due 2013-02-07].

    <r12a> [14]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [14] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    close ACTION-158

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-158 Contact Aharon about creating
    tests for unicode-bidi: isolate.

    close ACTION-172

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-172 Separately poll for final
    objections to making this meeting on thursdays at 1600 utc and,
    if none, move the meeting.

    close ACTION-173

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-173 Update review instruction
    documentation.

    <r12a>
    [15]http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions

      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions

Info Share

Scribing

    discuss scribing on rotation or regularly

    felix, addison, john: rotation okay

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: establish scribing rotation [recorded
    in [16]http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-177 - Establish scribing rotation [on
    Addison Phillips - due 2013-02-07].

    addison: or 3

    felix: offers to scribe in 2 weeks

Ruby and Directionality in ITS2.0

    [17]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013J
    an/0078.html

      [17] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013Jan/0078.html

    <fsasaki>
    [18]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-
    lt-comments/2013Jan/0144.html

      [18] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt-comments/2013Jan/0144.html

    scribe: had f2f last week

    felix: thanks for all the comments
    ... went through everything
    ... wrote replies
    ... editing to follow
    ... thanks for the non-i18n comments
    ... wanted to ensure we mentioned
    ... don't know best way to address ruby/direction comments
    ... in terms of ruby did see consensus whether to clarify or
    drop
    ... both ruby and direction are in flux in html5
    ... implementers: could make normative, could take from its1.0
    ... but maybe a bad idea to make normative stuff that isn't in
    html5
    ... talking to PLH
    ... and robin berjon helping edit
    ... keep normative, but find way to update
    ... ??

    addison: direction still same, only being extended (can extend
    later???)

    norbert: keep as 1.0, but add note and refer to changes coming?

    richard: will html5 finalize in time for its spec? probably no
    ... and can't be guaranteed
    ... with @dir, small issue in my mind
    ... at a global level, having such-and-such direction on an
    element is fine
    ... its suggests local market for rlo/lro?
    ... ruby also has this issue
    ... local markup is out of sync

    <fsasaki>
    [19]http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/i
    ts20/its20.html#ruby-implementation

      [19] 
http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#ruby-implementation

    felix: look at latest spec

    <fsasaki> its:rubyRule selector="/text/body/img[$1\47]/@alt">
    <its:rubyText>World Wide Web Consortium</its:rubyText>
    </its:rubyRule>

    felix: haven't seen anyone write xpath expression for ruby
    ... no one has impmented, rendering, etc.
    ... what would be the value?

    norbert: because ruby not implements, should just drop?

    richard: step back a sec.
    ... had in ITS1.0; were there implementations?
    ... do those count, if so?

    <fsasaki> [20]https://www.w3.org/International/its/tests

      [20] https://www.w3.org/International/its/tests

    felix: impl tests for serializing data model

    <fsasaki>
    [21]http://www.w3.org/International/its/tests/test1/EX-ruby-poi
    nter-1-result.xml

      [21] 
http://www.w3.org/International/its/tests/test1/EX-ruby-pointer-1-result.xml

    felix: if you process global ruby rules
    ... could make tests for 2.0
    ... no take up for past 5 years
    ... XLIFF 2.0 wants directionality

    addison: unsurprising no ruby impl: assymetry in source/target

    felix: time/funding pressure
    ... not stable at 2.0, have a note
    ... plan for 2.1 that could provide normative representation
    ... for direction and ruby for non-html environments (e.g.
    xliff)

    norbert: just drop ruby because can't go to rec without 2
    interop impls

    addison: +1

    richard: what to do with directionality?
    ... what's there is "important" and continues to be relevant,
    so keep
    ... is it that hard to implement??

    <fsasaki> [22]http://tinyurl.com/its20-testsuite-dashboard

      [22] http://tinyurl.com/its20-testsuite-dashboard

    felix: instability of html5 is only problem
    ... express in a note that changes could impact it

    norbert: richard, you mentioned rlo/lro problem?

    richard: just drop lro/rlo bit?

    <fsasaki>
    [23]http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#directionality

      [23] http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#directionality

    felix: the 'meat' of directionality in ITS 1 or 2 is just four
    bullet points
    ... so can parse whatever is there into xliff

    richard: think that xhmtl2 and css both have rlo/lro
    ... local elements could have overrides in block elements
    ... but html5 doesn't work that way

    norbert: add note that rlo and lro not useful in html5 but may
    be in other formats

    felix: just transport values, don't translate them
    ... XLIFF2 being developed
    ... question whether being transported or being interpreted
    ... but ITS is just the transport, not making this decision

    <scribe> ACTION: norbert: coordinate proposing text for ITS
    directionality with richard [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-178 - Coordinate proposing text for
    ITS directionality with richard [on Norbert Lindenberg - due
    2013-02-07].

    <joconner1> another obligation at this time.

Publishing BOM article

    [25]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013J
    an/0072.html

      [25] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013Jan/0072.html

    richard: propose...
    ... 1, publish new bom document

    <r12a>
    [26]http://www.w3.org/International/questions/new/qa-byte-order
    -mark-new.en

      [26] 
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/new/qa-byte-order-mark-new.en

    ... 2. direct people away from old doc
    ... link here:

    <r12a>
    [27]http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-utf8-bom
    should be discontinued

      [27] http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-utf8-bom

    <r12a> use a server redirect

    norbert: approve

    addison: approve

    john: approve

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: publish BOM document [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-179 - Publish BOM document [on
    Richard Ishida - due 2013-02-07].

AOB?

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: file individual comments on
    css3-text-decoration [recorded in
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action05]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-180 - File individual comments on
    css3-text-decoration [on Addison Phillips - due 2013-02-07].

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: establish scribing rotation [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: file individual comments on
    css3-text-decoration [recorded in
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action05]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: ping anne about encoding spec [recorded
    in [32]http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: norbert: coordinate proposing text for ITS
    directionality with richard [recorded in
    [33]http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: publish BOM document [recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    [End of minutes]





-- 
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/
Received on Thursday, 31 January 2013 17:43:19 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 31 January 2013 17:43:20 GMT