How is parsing element and attribute names a string matching problem?

From: Costello, Roger L. <costello@mitre.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 13:32:52 +0000
To: "www-international@w3.org" <www-international@w3.org>
Hi Folks,

In section 3.1.1 [1] of the document,

    Character Model for the World Wide Web 1.0: Normalization

it says:

    Examples of string matching abound: parsing
    element and attribute names in Web documents ...

How is parsing element and attribute names a string matching problem?

When I think of "parsing" I think of breaking up a string into parts: here's a start tag, here's content, here's an end tag. I don't see it as a string matching problem. Would you explain how parsing element and attribute names is a string matching problem please?

/Roger

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod-norm/#sec-WhyNormalization