Re: Fwd: Case Sensitivity Issue and CSSOM

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 10:56:40 -0800
To: Reece Dunn <msclrhd@googlemail.com>
Cc: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, WWW International <www-international@w3.org>
On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Reece Dunn <msclrhd@googlemail.com> wrote:
> How would this work for vendors that implement the css3-counterstyles spec
> and pull in a counterstyles.css file to get the default counter styles? That
> is, does the above mean that implementors of css3-counterstyles will still
> need to handle CI of the built-in counter styles even if everything else
> about them is handled generically?

Yes.

> If the pre-defined counter styles are CI, are the user-defined counter
> styles as well? For example, are the following identical:
>
>    @counter-style ogham { system: additive; ... }
>    @counter-style OGHAM { system: additive; ... }

No.

> If they are different and disc vs DISC are the same, this means that a UA
> will need to handle counter styles differently depending on context, which
> will complicate the implementation.

Correct.  (Well, not by context.  By name.  When you parse a
@counter-style rule, match the name CI against the list of built-ins.
If it matches one, store it lowercased instead of in the original
case.  Do the same thing for 'list-style-type' values.)

> If this is the case, are the following treated identically:
>
>     p.disc { color: red; }
>     p.DISC { color: blue; }

No.

> This would mean that an implementation of css3-counterstyles would not then
> be completely generic w.r.t. spec-defined counter styles and user-defined
> counter styles. This seems counter to what the counter styles spec is trying
> to achieve: that is, have counter styles expressed purely in CSS without any
> UA logic (ignoring the more complex variants of the East Asian and Ethiopic
> counters).

Yes, it does mean that, and that's why I'm unhappy about resolving it
this way (even if I end up accepting it).

> Also, css3-counterstyles WD defines 30 counter styles. Does this mean that
> the 14 found in CSS 2.1 are normalized to ASCII lower case, but the other 16
> are not?

No, all the ones that are language-defined would be ASCII CI, which
includes all 30 or so in Counter Styles.

~TJ