I18N-ISSUE-246: Clarify character encoding behavior when calculating storage size [ITS-20]

From: Internationalization Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 06:07:47 +0000
To: public-multilingualweb-lt-comments@w3.org,www-international@w3.org
I18N-ISSUE-246: Clarify character encoding behavior when calculating storage size [ITS-20]

Raised by: Norbert Lindenberg
On product: ITS-20

http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#storagesize

Several aspects of the interpretation of the character encoding given as storageEncoding need to be clarified:

- Which character encodings is an implementation required to support? Support for UTF-8 must be mandatory.

- What's the required behavior if storageEncoding specifies a character encoding that the implementation doesn't support?

- What's the required behavior if the selected nodes contain characters that the specified character encoding cannot represent?