I18N-ISSUE-214: directionality should be made normative, with informative additions [.prep-ITS-20]

From: Internationalization Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 18:23:16 +0000
To: www-international@w3.org
I18N-ISSUE-214: directionality should be made normative, with informative additions [.prep-ITS-20]

Raised by: Richard Ishida
On product: .prep-ITS-20

8.5 Directionality
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#directionality

Since the section on directionality is unchanged from ITS 1.0, and since some implementers are addressing directionality in reference implementations, this section should be normative.

It may benefit from a non-normative note or section that explains how changes are likely in the near future, and the exact form of those changes is currently under discussion in the i18n, HTML and CSS Working Groups. The changes are expected to include ways of specifying isolation when setting base direction, which will likely supercede the ltr and rtl values as the default. A future version of ITS should address those changes.

[This comment not checked by i18n WG, but based on telecon discussions.]