Re: I18N-ISSUE-207: Term data category and dfn element [.prep-ITS-20]

On 15.1.2013 10:53, Richard Ishida wrote:
> I'm mostly concerned about whether we have a clear idea of how its:term
> and dfn interact, and explaining that - rather than tutorial-like
> information about using them.  I think the spec needs to make clear the
> relationship between the two to justify whether its:term should be used.

We can put normative ITS rules for HTML inside the spec. Mapping of dfn
to its:term is not so simple, but doable:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/text-level-semantics.html#the-dfn-element

"Defining term: If the dfn element has a title attribute, then the exact
value of that attribute is the term being defined. Otherwise, if it
contains exactly one element child node and no child Text nodes, and
that child element is an abbr element with a title attribute, then the
exact value of that attribute is the term being defined. Otherwise, it
is the exact textContent of the dfn element that gives the term being
defined.

If the title attribute of the dfn element is present, then it must
contain only the term being defined."