Re: Case sensitivity in CSS: some tests

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 15:50:48 -0800 (PST)
To: W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: www International <www-international@w3.org>
Richard Ishida wrote:

> I have reworked the tests that I had done so far, and summarised the
> results a little more carefully. You can now find the tests and
> summaries at the following locations:
>
> Case sensitivity in selectors (CSS/HTML5)
> http://www.w3.org/International/tests/html-css/selectors-case/results-selectors-case

As noted in my previous post [1], these tests miss:

(1) the mixture of case-sensitive and case-insensitive behavior for
    attribute values in HTML4

(2) the ambiguous definition of case insensitivity in the HTML4 spec
    that results in differences across browsers

(3) assertions in this area need to clearly note the differences between
    the HTML4 and HTML5 specs, since they aren't compatible

Your test page for selectors makes this statement:

  All user agents treated HTML attribute values tested as
  case-sensitive, except Opera 12.12 on Snow Leopard. The
  same version of Opera on Windows and on Lion treats as
  case-sensitive.

  NOTE: for case-sensitivity of the lang attribute, see
  Language selectors.

As noted above, this is incorrect, numerous attributes in HTML4 are
labeled CI while HTML5 eliminates these and makes all attribute values
case sensitive.

Cheers,

John Daggett

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Jan/0097.html