Re: For review: New editor's draft of Authoring HTML: Handling Right-to-left Scripts

Hello Amir,

On 11/05/2013 14:59, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
> Both this document as well as "Internationalization Techniques:
> Authoring HTML & CSS" say not to add the dir attribute to the <body>
> element, but they don't clearly explain why. It would be useful to explain it.
>
> This document says: "Do not use CSS styling to control directionality
> in HTML. Use markup."
> It should explain why is it bad to use CSS, or link to a document that
> explains it.

In the section "How to Use this Document" it says:

"This document lists a number of do's and dont's, which we will refer to
as techniques, related to authoring pages in right-to-left scripts.
Where needed, you can get further information and explanations by
following the links listed with each section."

Perhaps I should not assumed however that people would read the
introduction (although I wonder whether you tried following the links,
and still felt stuck?).

I thought it might work better to add direct links to the places where
you can find detailed explanations, from an icon at the end of the do or
don't.  This will probably mean that we need to update the document more
frequently, but that should be doable.

I applied it to section 4 only so far.

> This sentence has a redundant full stop in the end:
> "Only use bidi markup to set the base direction for the document as a
> whole, or where you need to change the base direction.."

Thanks. Fixed.

RI

--
Richard Ishida, W3C