Re: Comment on ITS 2.0 specification WD, i18n-ISSUE-212: HTML5 in the ITS spec

Hi Richard, all,

the MLW-LT WG agrees with your comment. For more info, see below.

Am 16.01.13 20:42, schrieb Richard Ishida:
> There was a thread on www-international
> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2013JanMar/0044.html]
> sparked by a comment about the relationship of its:term to dfn in
> HTML5 which can be widened to a more general discussion, ie. should
> the ITS spec fully describe the relationship between other elements
> and and attributes in HTML5 that relate to the data categories in ITS
> (see Yves' comments at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2013JanMar/0044.html]
>
> In discussing this with Felix during the i18n WG telecon, we concluded
> that ITS is trying to normatively specify relationships between HTML5
> markup and ITS data categories only where a normative and complete
> relationship is tenable, ie. lang and translate attributes in HTML5
> are examples where the markup is fully consistent with ITS data
> categories and cannot be used in other ways, so a normative link can
> be established.
>
> Not all HTML5 markup can be linked to ITS so completely. For example,
> its:term could be represented in HTML5 by dfn element, or by a dt
> element, but either of those elements could also be used for another
> purpose. HTML5 markup that can't be associated uniquely with ITS data
> categories in this way will be described in the Best Practices document.
>
> If this is what the ITS group intends, then I think the ITS
> specification needs significant editorial work to make this clearer.

We wrote a dedicated section explaining the relation between ITS and
HTML. See
http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#usage-in-html
This section should clarify everything you mentioned.

> For example, section 1.1.1 Relation to ITS 1.0 says "While ITS 1.0
> addressed only XML, ITS 2.0 specifies implementations of data
> categories in both XML and HTML". And 1.1.2 New Principles says: "ITS
> 2.0 data categories are intended to be format neutral, with support
> for XML, HTML, and NIF: a data category implementation only needs to
> support a single content format mapping in order to support a claim of
> ITS 2.0 conformance". And 1.4 Usage in HTML says "ITS 2.0 adds support
> for usage in HTML." These statements give the impression that ITS will
> fully describe the relationships between ITS and HTML5 in the spec.
>
> I think it will also help to clarify, where examples related to HTML5
> appear (for example, Example 44 in the section on Terminology), that
> these only illustrate some of the ways in which some of the markup in
> HTML could be mapped to ITS, and do not relate to normative behaviour,
> and they are not exhaustive.

For these aspects, see esp. the subsection
http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#html5-existing-markup-versus-its

Does this reply to your concerns? Please let us know within 2 weeks
whether you are OK with this response.

Best,

Felix