Re: Feedback about the BOM article

I suppose I have got to the stage that I see the whole discussion of utf-8
and the BOM amusing.

And no one really seems to be addressing the white elephant in the room.

For UTF-8 the BOM has its uses but is pointless if the developers know what
they're doing.

I have used utf-8 exclussively since the late 1990s. The tools I use can
handle a utf-8 file with or without a BOM perfectly fine. The editing tools
I use indicate the encodingand the presence or absence of a BOM

Tools that require a BOM also tend to be tools that can't handle the
languages I work with.

I usually find the proplem is poor programming and development, not whether
a BOM is useful or not.

Ok many of you will disagree.

But I guess that the game is changing ...

But I wish discussion will turn to HTML5 and how to handle content when
Unicode is not sufficient for the task.

Whether that is for scripts that are not in unicode yet. And I can think of
two in tht category I am working with at the moment.

Or when text layout, font rendering in browsers is not up to the task of
rendering various scripts in unicode

Or the resurgency of psuedo-Unicode encodings and no way to distinguish
between unicode content and psuedo-unicode content.

Esp when mobile devices are becomimg a more prevalent way of accessing web
content in developing countries and will outstrip laptop and desktop access
while font rendering and font suport on mobile platforms is so primative.

There are hugh encoding issues ut there. And the BOM and its presence or
lack of it isn't a major issue. Just a distraction from more important
issues

Andrew