Re: Comments on "The byte-order mark (BOM) in HTML"

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 11:31:25 -0500
To: Norbert Lindenberg <w3@norbertlindenberg.com>
Cc: www-international <www-international@w3.org>
Norbert Lindenberg scripsit:

> - "no longer ASCII-compatible": What does this mean? Usually when UTF-8
> is described as ASCII-compatible it means that all byte values that
> look like ASCII actually are ASCII, and the BOM doesn't break this rule.

I take it to mean that UTF-8-encoded text containing only characters from
the ASCII repertoire will will be byte-for-byte the same as if it were
ASCII-encoded text.  This is true iff the UTF-8 data doesn't have a BOM.

--
Being understandable rather than obscurantist poses certain
risks, in that one's opinions are clear and therefore     | John Cowan