W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > October to December 2012

[minutes] Internationalization WG telecon, 7 Nov 2012

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 20:30:49 +0000
Message-ID: <50AD39F9.4040105@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
Full technicolor version at
http://www.w3.org/2012/11/07-i18n-minutes.html




Black & white version follows:


Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

07 Nov 2012

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012Nov/0005.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2012/11/07-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Richard, Mati, Felix, Dave

    Regrets
           Norbert

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda and Minutes
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]TPAC fallout?
          5. [9]Encoding document
          6. [10]AOB?
      * [11]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items

    <aphillip> Update qa-byte-order-mark document

    <aphillip> Prepare some examples of ITS2NIF showing NFC issue
    for consideration next week

    <aphillip> close ACTION-145

    <trackbot> ACTION-145 Prepare some examples of ITS2NIF showing
    NFC issue for consideration next week closed

    <r12a> David, I just muted you on IRC

    <aphillip> close ACTION-147

    <trackbot> ACTION-147 Send TPAC registration reminder closed

    <r12a> because of echo

    <aphillip> close ACTION-152

    <trackbot> ACTION-152 Write summary of before/after issue for
    consideration by WG closed

    <r12a> [12]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [12] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    <aphillip> close ACTION-153

    <trackbot> ACTION-153 Reserve time on zakim for tpac calls
    closed

    <aphillip> close ACTION-154

    <trackbot> ACTION-154 Send invites to HTML editors to
    coordinate with richard over tpac meeting closed

    <aphillip> close ACTION-155

    <trackbot> ACTION-155 Update our time to 4 PM UTC closed

    <aphillip> Write tests for unicode-bidi: isolate

    <aphillip> matial: there is a group in israel for writing tests
    like this

    <aphillip> ... maybe give to them?

    <aphillip> ... talk to Aharon

    <aphillip> richard: good idea

    <r12a> ACTION: Richard to contact Aharon about creating tests
    for unicode-bidi: isolate [recorded in
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2012/11/07-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-158 - Contact Aharon about creating
    tests for unicode-bidi: isolate [on Richard Ishida - due
    2012-11-14].

    <r12a> close ACTION-156

    <trackbot> ACTION-156 Write tests for unicode-bidi: isolate
    closed

    <aphillip> Tell CSS about WG consensus on case folding

    <aphillip> richard: told relevant people but not writing yet

    <aphillip> ... Tab asked a complex question I didn't know
    answer to

Info Share

TPAC fallout?

    <aphillip> richard: first two days I sat in reception and
    accosted people

    <aphillip> ... met a GOOG engineer mgr from JP

    <aphillip> ... talked about ruby model in HTML5

    <aphillip> ... he had requirements to implement double-sided
    ruby

    <aphillip> addison: I'm also keen on double-sided ruby

    <aphillip> richard: also spoke to opera about impl

    <aphillip> ... also got some contacts to chase at apple

    <aphillip> richard: html planning to go to CR in about a week

    <aphillip> richard: had a session with html5 wg

    <aphillip> ... half of session taken up by talking about ruby

    <aphillip> ... and there was take up by html folk

    <matial> Sound has become very sporadic

    <aphillip> ... and fantasai + robin berjon have task to
    re-write ruby as an HTML5 extension

    <aphillip> addison: she's interested in complex ruby?

    <aphillip> richard: right. concerned that this may put existing
    stuff at risk?

    <aphillip> ... they will try to fast track proposal so
    implementers can get to fast

    <aphillip> felix: talked to kobayashi

    <aphillip> ... attending upcoming epub workshop in NY

    <aphillip> ... some people are aware of issues

    <aphillip> ... would be good if folks attended workshop

    <aphillip> ... February workship I think?

    <aphillip> richard: presentation about bidi to HTML5

    <aphillip> ... two new values of @dir

    <aphillip> ... current description seemed asymmetric

    <aphillip> ... and there were problems with using <bdi>

    <aphillip> ... particularly microformats

    <aphillip> ... so Aharon wrote a blog post draft

    <aphillip> ... will publish soon

    <aphillip> ... don't want to get rid of <bdi>

    <aphillip> ... but really we want a way to get isolation
    without putting <bdi> everywhere

    <aphillip> ... Unicode adding LRI, RLI, FSI, and PDI

    <aphillip> ... so implications to markup and css

    <aphillip> richard: wean authors off rtl/ltr to use the
    isolates

    <aphillip> ... names not settled

    <aphillip> ... and rewrite articles

    <aphillip> ... would reduce size a lot

    <aphillip> ... html5 folks suggested new attribute @isolate ??

    <aphillip> richard: we need to write an HTML5 extension

    <aphillip> ... robin berjon will help us

    <aphillip> ... if we can get two browsers to implement, then
    may be able to fold in

    <aphillip> ... good chance of that if we get two
    implementations

    <aphillip> addison: anyone lined up?

    <aphillip> richard: no

    <aphillip> ... first step is publish blog post

    <aphillip> richard: Korean

    <aphillip> ... making some progress. no one from korean office
    at tpac?

    <aphillip> ... did find chinese office person

    <matial> I have to leave now. I may be able to reconnect from
    my car, maybe not.

    <aphillip> ... folks from india office

    <aphillip> ... may get new recruit which could help

    <aphillip> richard: also spoke to Tab about counter-styles

    <aphillip> ... close to publication

    <aphillip> richard: norbert attended webapps and they talked
    about input/IME spec

    <aphillip> ... don't have details

    <aphillip> richard: reconfirmed process for submitting bugs to
    HTML

    <aphillip> ... html5.1 soon

    <aphillip> richard: before/after decision put off?

    <aphillip> ... koji seemed happy about that

    <aphillip> ... they did discount head/foot

    <aphillip> ... didn't like before-block or after-block or two
    word things would be a good idea

    <aphillip> richard: talked case sensitivity

    <aphillip> ... and back to css with "Unicode case folding"

    <aphillip> richard: met with MLW-LT

    <aphillip> ... under tight schedule

    <aphillip> ... don't know how to address ruby or directionality
    due to other work going on

    <aphillip> ... so blanking for now?

    <aphillip> felix: non-normative text for now

    <aphillip> ... with a note to that effect

    <aphillip> ... may be able to have another LC if more material
    arrives in a timely way

    <aphillip> richard: no one to implement?

    <aphillip> ... are implementation of ruby or dir simply a web
    page?

    <aphillip> felix: just get spec to say right thing

    <aphillip> ... for implementations... happy with what gets us
    through w3c process

    <aphillip> ... and we have some examples that make use of the
    metadata somehow

    <aphillip> ... just a web page would make me happy

    <aphillip> richard: met with xliff folks as well

    <aphillip> ... who had similar questions

    <aphillip> ... bidi is different from ruby

    <fsasaki> for the record, we have metadata items that are
    applied in applications, e.g. an HTML2XLIFF tool - we just need
    to make sure that we get through the w3c process if the dir /
    ruby tests are "just web pages" (would be fine by me, just
    mentioning this)

    <fsasaki> +1 to wednesday, great breakout session(s)

Encoding document

    <aphillip> richard: anne walked through it

    <aphillip> ... norbert seemed okay

    <aphillip> ... have a problem since anne might not be able to
    edit the document

    <aphillip> ... can participate in the IG

    <aphillip> addison: will be the editor or at least our editor

    <aphillip> richard: also worked through outstanding html5
    issues

    <aphillip> ... ran out of time with html5

    <aphillip> ... issues raised by cameron jones related to using
    locale info

    <aphillip> ... did talk about that all issues with html5

    <aphillip> ... need to talk more to carmeron

    <aphillip> richard: slightly disagree wtih addison; think we
    should have a separate attribute for calendar

    <aphillip> richard: worked through writing-mode issues list all
    issues

    <aphillip> ... koji to talk to elika about that

AOB?

    <DavidClarke> Nothing from me

    <aphillip> only one issue left for writing-mode

    <DavidClarke> will call be at 16:00 UTC next week?

    <DavidClarke> I believe so

    <DavidClarke> bye

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Richard to contact Aharon about creating tests
    for unicode-bidi: isolate [recorded in
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2012/11/07-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]


-- 
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/
Received on Wednesday, 21 November 2012 20:31:12 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 21 November 2012 20:31:13 GMT