Re: Encoding Standard at F2F

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 16:34:26 +0900
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
CC: Norbert Lindenberg <w3@norbertlindenberg.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, www-international@w3.org
On 2012/11/05 11:29, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Norbert Lindenberg, Mon, 5 Nov 2012 00:11:02 +0000:
>> - I don't believe that the requirement "user agents must not support
>> any other encodings or labels" is acceptable to all implementors who
>> currently support a larger set of encodings.
>>
>> - It would also be useful to check with the ICU team whether they are
>> willing to update their converters to match the proposed
>> specification.
>
> In what way should ICU update their converters? ICU is a library - it
> is not a user agent. Thus I don't see why it would need to remove its
> large set of supported encodings.

Yes, that would definitely be a bad idea. Also, changing what the
encoding labels mean, in ICU as well as in other applications, would be
a bad idea, because it will pull the rug under the feet of applications
using ICU. But what ICU could/should do is to provide some information
about which of its encodings correspond *exactly* to the ones in this
spec. And in case there isn't such an encoding, create a new variant.

Regards,   Martin.