explanation of I18N-ISSUE-190: attempting to erase combining marks?

From: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 01:18:10 -0400
To: RDF-WG WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>, Internationalization Core Working Group <www-international@w3.org>
Cc: Gavin Carothers <gavin@carothers.name>
explanation of I18N-ISSUE-190: attempting to erase combining marks?

Issue: Section 6.4. PN_CHARS_BASE erases various Unicode ranges without explanation. This appears to be an attempt to eliminate combining marks and the surrogates?

Turtle's PN_CHARS_BASE
<http://www.w3.org/rdf-clean/rdf-turtle/index.html#grammar-production-PN_CHARS_BASE>
is derivative of XML's NameStartChar
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xml-20081126/#NT-NameStartChar>,
presumably leveraging the wisdom which went into XML
identifiers. Changing this would have very large compatibility impact
on SPARQL, RDF/XML, OWL's XML format, GRDDL, etc. Is there motivation
to change XML?

Please indicate whether this address the stated issue.
--
-ericP