RE: Web Notifications I18N Review follow up: [I18N-ISSUE-172] [I18N-ACTION-141]

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:27:03 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
CC: "public-web-notification@w3.org" <public-web-notification@w3.org>, "www-international@w3.org" <www-international@w3.org>, Artur Ortega <Artur@ortegalink.com>

> This is now added, but only at a global level (same for direction).

Hello Web Notifications,

I just created I18N-ISSUE-172 to separately track the problem of tagging direction in Web Notifications. Previously we discussed this as part of our issue #162. See [1] for detailed comments.

The I18N Core WG discussed your resolution to this issue outlined in [2] during our recent teleconference [3]. We are not yet satisfied regarding the creation of a global 'direction' attribute because we feel that each element of text should have its own direction attribute. Unlike language, for which we can see relative utility in a global "notification-level" language value (which can be extended to individual fields in the future, should it prove necessary), direction is an inherent text property that sometimes requires a direct override. We would prefer if you would include a separate @dir on the body and the title.

Regards,

Addison

[1] https://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/172

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2012JulSep/0043.html