Re: Selecting Glyph Variants

On 01/02/2012 06:22, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
> I'd personally suggest that you just add that text, if nobody complains.
> I think it's good to hear from Addison that he thinks that the I18N Core
> WG should work on updating it, but I'd propose that you don't wait for
> that; work that's already done is already done.

Absolutely not!  These articles all go through an approval process via
the WG and wider to ensure that they are as accurate as possible at the
time of publication, and then there are also translations to think about.

Another possibility is that we write an article specifically about this
feature, with more in depth explanations, and just link to it from the
article mentioned. This would bring far more attention to the feature.

(Btw, we should also consider whether to create tests, with results
summaries, to support the mention of features like this.)

For the text Chris suggested (thanks btw, Chris!) there are some things
we need to take care with. Chris's suggested text describes the feature
as if it is available now for all to use.  We try very hard to write
these articles so that it's clear what does and doesn't work right now
for developers.  There are also concerns about advising people to use
vendor-specific extensions.

So we'd need to modify "allows CSS stylesheets to" to something like
"will soon allow CSS stylesheets to" and then provide information about
where it currently works (and then update it again as things develop, of
course). (And get the translators to update their translations.)

So I guess we should add this to the list of things to work on, Addison.

Thanks for the suggestion, Chris.

RI

--
Richard Ishida