Re: Shaping characters in upright orientation in vertical text flow

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:10:05 +0900
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
CC: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>, "matial@il.ibm.com" <matial@il.ibm.com>, "jdaggett@mozilla.com" <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, "public-i18n-bidi@w3.org" <public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>, "www-international@w3.org" <www-international@w3.org>
On 2012/01/17 22:52, Koji Ishii wrote:
> Thank you everyone for very prompt replies.
>
> After looking at your replies, I started to wonder, maybe the way I asked the question wasn't very good, so please allow me to rephrase.
>
> We editors expect most non-East Asian authors would use "text-orientation: sideways-right" as explained in the figure[1]. In this style, all non-East Asian characters such as Latin or bi-di renders sideways, rotated by 90 degrees, as you all recommended. So, that's good to have this many confirmation.

"text-orientation: sideways-right" seems to be quite okay for Latin or
other LTR script in vertical. But wouldn't one want to use
"text-orientation: sideways-left" for Arabic or Hebrew, or otherwise all
or mostly RTL text in vertical?

Regards,    Martin.