W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2012

[minutes] Internationalization Core WG telecon 2012-05-30

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 16:48:51 +0100
Message-ID: <4FC792E3.3050101@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
Online:
	http://www.w3.org/2012/05/30-i18n-minutes.html





Text version follows:

Internationalization Core Working Group Teleconference

30 May 2012

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012May/0027.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2012/05/30-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Richard, Norbert, Aharon, Mati, Koji, Somnath
           (IRC only), Felix (IRC only)

    Regrets
           David, John,

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda and Minutes
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]mailing list usage
          5. [9]Unicode Normalization in ECMAScript
          6. [10]AOB?
      * [11]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items

    <r12a> [12]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [12] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    ACTION-109: got reply and they will send information to this
    mailing list of draft

    <trackbot> ACTION-109 Check about Korean layout task force
    notes added

    Koji: a Korean group has been working on a document, and intends to 
submit it soon to the W3C

    close ACTION-121

    <trackbot> ACTION-121 Ping non-WG members to look at Ruby
    document closed

    ACTION-121: did that and then pinged again, no replies yet

    <trackbot> ACTION-121 Ping non-WG members to look at Ruby
    document notes added

    close ACTION-124

    <trackbot> ACTION-124 Write an appropriately reworded email to
    ULI expressing concern about the SEGEMENTATION character closed

    ACTION-124: some confusion on other end?

    <trackbot> ACTION-124 Write an appropriately reworded email to
    ULI expressing concern about the SEGEMENTATION character notes
    added

    close ACTION-129

    <trackbot> ACTION-129 Write email to group and to martin
    explaining that we plan to track issues on winter list and to
    use winter list for more tracked discussions closed

Info Share

    Norbert: Ecma TC-39 reviews i18n draft
    ... last week

    <Norbert>
    [13]https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2012-May/0228
    36.html

      [13] 
https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2012-May/022836.html

    Norbert: at a special meeting
    ... minutes at link above
    ... mostly approved, but made a few changes
    ... LocaleList got removed
    ... in favor of String[] of locales
    ... an array of language tags
    ... also allow implementations to add values
    ... notably time zones
    ... some time soon there will be an update spec
    ... also discussed separately the UTF-16 proposal
    ... to clarify that ES is based on UTF-16
    ... updated proposal, accepted as on track for Harmony
    ... should be official some time next year!
    ... so December of next year

    Richard: received email from W3C india for a task force to look
    at Indic Layout Requirements
    ... with proposed charter

    <somnath> We need to get the indic task force working under
    intl core wg

    <somnath> CSS req is ready for consideration

    koji: writing mode in UTR50
    ... reported that japanese vendors will ship based on their own
    specs
    ... so CSS WG will define own glyph orientation
    ... telling UTC that we will define code points of interest to
    CJK
    ... working with fantasai and communicating to UTC what
    differences we are creating

    richard: how are we doing with writing modes spec?

    koji: only a few issues left

    koji: could be 3-6 months on writing modes

    Koji: also had review of CSS3 Text
    ... two issues left
    ... LC request shortly

mailing list usage

    richard: changed tracker so it would track winter@ and
    public-core@
    ... so have action to extend tracker onto other interest group
    lists
    ... Martin is okay with this
    ... and then start moving our discussions onto
    www-international
    ... can use public lists if we want to
    ... issues don't always get visibility

    addison: track comments on winter?

    richard: yes, except MO

    Norbert: why do we have two separate lists?

    richard: historical reasons mainly
    ... winter@ is the IG
    ... and public@ is inside WG
    ... was a time when folks could ask questions, etc... sort of
    like unicode list

    aharon: discussion of breaking up style@
    ... public-i18n-bidi@ is public and many folks interested in
    that are on it
    ... very useful
    ... i.e. the isolates dicussion will take place there

    richard: next step would be to announce this
    ... which would include summary of our other lists

    addison: how much longer on the chartering?

    richard: can write into charter; some more time due to
    travel... probably end of June

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: write to www-international, including
    decriptions of other lists from about page, announcing changes
    in our use of list [recorded in
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2012/05/30-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-130 - Write to www-international,
    including decriptions of other lists from about page,
    announcing changes in our use of list [on Addison Phillips -
    due 2012-06-06].

Unicode Normalization in ECMAScript

    [15]http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:unicode_nor
    malization

      [15] 
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:unicode_normalization

    Norbert: ES standard says text is "assumed to be normalized"
    ... no text is actually normalized
    ... so change spec to say it isn't normalized
    ... other part is to add a normalization function to core
    ... anyone could call (script or library)
    ... one place where its interesting is regex

    [16]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012M
    ay/0031.html

      [16] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012May/0031.html

    <r12a> /matchthis/n

    <r12a> ACTION: Richard to update the Activity about page etc to
    describe the adjusted use of the mailing lists and add
    information about tracker [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2012/05/30-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-131 - Update the Activity about page
    etc to describe the adjusted use of the mailing lists and add
    information about tracker [on Richard Ishida - due 2012-06-06].

    [18]http://icu-project.org/apiref/icu4j/com/ibm/icu/text/Normal
    izer.html

      [18] 
http://icu-project.org/apiref/icu4j/com/ibm/icu/text/Normalizer.html

    [19]http://icu-project.org/apiref/icu4c/classNormalizer2.html

      [19] http://icu-project.org/apiref/icu4c/classNormalizer2.html

    addison: think this is the right thing to do; like the strawman
    ... WG intention is to revise CharModNorm to be consistent with
    this

AOB?

    preferences for next week's meeting?

    richard: potential regrets next week

    <fsasaki> likely to have a conflict, not sure yet

    norbert: announce what we'll review

    richard: can we put ruby nearer the top

    <scribe> chair: IRI documents to be main topic for next time

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: write to www-international, including
    decriptions of other lists from about page, announcing changes
    in our use of list [recorded in
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2012/05/30-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: Richard to update the Activity about page etc to
    describe the adjusted use of the mailing lists and add
    information about tracker [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2012/05/30-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    [End of minutes]

	
-- 
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/
Received on Thursday, 31 May 2012 15:49:26 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 31 May 2012 15:49:26 GMT